Parties get time to find replacement for deceased Tegal regent incumbent
The Jakarta Post
The Central Java General Elections Commission (KPUD) has said it would give an opportunity to political parties supporting incumbent Tegal regent candidate Enthus Susmono, who died on Monday evening, to find a replacement for the deceased for the upcoming regency election.
Enthus, who was also known as a dalang (puppet master), died of a heart attack at Soesilo Hospital, Tegal, at 7:15 p.m. local time. The regent was running for a second term in this year’s regional election.
“Because he died 46 days before the election, his supporting parties have an obligation to look for his replacement,” said KPU Central Java chairman Joko Purnomo as quoted by kompas.com on Monday.
Enthus and his candidate pair Umi Azizah were backed by five parties: the National Awakening Party (PKB), Gerindra, the Prosperous Justice Party (PKS), the National Mandate Party (PAN) and Hanura.
As stipulated in the 2016 Regional Elections Law, the parties are required to nominate a new candidate no later than seven days after Enthus’ death. The elections commission later will verify the nominated candidate.
If the party cannot find a replacement, the pair’s candidacy will be aborted, Joko went on to say.
Tegal regency is one of 171 regions set to participate in the 2018 simultaneous regional elections slated for June 27. (kuk/ebf)
- West Jakarta early childhood school dismantled in front of students
- Indonesia attracts buyers at Hamburg COTECA trade expo
- Nudist beach surfer punches shark to escape attack
- Saudi Arabia's foreign minister to visit Indonesia
- In China's Catholic heartland, Vatican deal brings Communist Party closer
- Three expat teachers detained in Balikpapan for visa violations
- Saudi Arabia admits Khashoggi killed in Istanbul consulate
- Meikarta graft case: KPK searches residence of Lippo Group CEO James Riady
- The other side of Korea: Art, food and history
- Gay couple arrested in Bandung as anti-LGBT wave grips W. Java