East Jakarta church bomb hoax suspect may face life imprisonment: Police
The Jakarta Post
A 25-year-old man, who reportedly disseminated false information regarding the discovery of a suspicious item at Santa Anna Parish Church in Duren Sawit, East Jakarta, on Monday, may face the maximum sanction of life imprisonment, the police have said.
The man, identified as MIA, has been charged under the Electronic Information and Transactions (ITE) Law and Antiterrorism Law, which carries a maximum punishment of 20 years in prison or life imprisonment for the crime he said he committed “for fun”.
According to the police, MIA called the police three times to report finding a suspicious black backpack at the church.
He told the police the backpack was thrown out of a car.
East Jakarta Police chief Sr. Comr. Tony Surya Putra said the perpetrator pretended to be a church security officer and a police officer while calling the police.
MIA told the police he reported the false information only for fun.
“He didn’t really plan to disseminate the false information,” Tony said on Tuesday as quoted by tempo.co.
The false information was widely circulated on WhatsApp on Monday.
Bomb squad members were deployed only to find that the information was false after finding nothing suspicious on the premises.
MIA was arrested at his house in Tambun, Bekasi, West Java, on Monday, after the police tracked down his phone number. (cal)
- West Jakarta early childhood school dismantled in front of students
- Indonesia attracts buyers at Hamburg COTECA trade expo
- Saudi Arabia's foreign minister to visit Indonesia
- In China's Catholic heartland, Vatican deal brings Communist Party closer
- Saudi Arabia admits Khashoggi killed in Istanbul consulate
- Nudist beach surfer punches shark to escape attack
- Three expat teachers detained in Balikpapan for visa violations
- Meikarta graft case: KPK searches residence of Lippo Group CEO James Riady
- The other side of Korea: Art, food and history
- US 'saddened' Saudi journalist dead, no mention of action