South Bengkulu regent named graft suspect
The Jakarta Post
The Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) has named South Bengkulu Regent Dirwan Mahmud of Bengkulu province a graft suspect in an alleged bribery case related to several infrastructure projects in the regency.
“[He is] suspected of accepting Rp 98 million [US$6,963] as part of a commitment fee in exchange for his direct appointment [in a company] to handle five construction projects for roads and bridges across South Bengkulu regency,” KPK deputy chairwoman Basaria Panjaitan said during a press briefing on Wednesday evening.
The commitment fee, she added, amounted to Rp 112.5 million, or 15 percent from the total project value of Rp 750 million.
The antigraft body also named Dirwan’s wife Hendrati and an official from the regency’s health agency, Nursilawati, as suspects for allegedly accepting bribes. Meanwhile, businessman Juhari is suspected of giving them the kickbacks.
The KPK also suspect that Hendrawati had collected the funds transferred from the businessman through Nursilawati, the alleged intermediary in the case.
All four suspects were arrested by KPK investigators during an operation on Tuesday evening, during which Rp 85 million in cash was seized, as well as evidence of a bank transfer amounting to Rp 15 million and documents of a general procurement project.
Bengkulu caught the antigraft body’s attention as a province prone to corruption following three graft arrests it made last year, including the arrest Governor Ridwan Mukti and his wife Lily Martiani Maddari for alleged bribery. (ebf)
- North Sumatra's regent nabbed in antigraft operation
- 'Waria' told to leave their home in Jakarta amid anti-LGBT campaign
- Govt looks to private employees to fill public jobs after 90 percent of applican...
- 'Moral panic' targets Indonesia's LGBT community
- Boeing ‘confident’ in 737 MAX safety despite aircraft flaw
- Christian school rumor leads to closure of vocational academy in Batam
- From Chanel to Gucci: Korean women turn into designer rent-a-holics
- Okky Madasari unearths hidden tales of Indonesia in 'Mata' series
- Indonesia's latest economic stimulus package: What you need to know
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world