Ahok posts Idul Fitri message on Instagram
The Jakarta Post
Former Jakarta governor Basuki "Ahok" Tjahaja Purnama wished everyone a happy Idul Fitri and asked for forgiveness in an official Instagram post.
"Happy Idul Fitri to my brothers and sisters who celebrate it. May good health, good fortune and true faith accompany you always," he wrote in blue ink on a piece of ruled paper, which was posted on his official @basukibtp Instagram account.
Ahok signed and concluded the letter by asking for forgiveness.
Ahok's sister, Fifi Lety Indra, confirmed the authenticity of the letter.
"The letter was indeed written by [Ahok]," she said as quoted by tempo.co on Friday.
According to Fifi, her brother has celebrated Idul Fitri since he was little.
"Ahok never holds a grudge nor hatred, no matter what happens," she said. "He just wants to convey a message of compassion to everyone who celebrates Idul Fitri."
Ahok is serving a two-year prison sentence after being found guilty of blasphemy. (rfa)
- Anger at Singapore ads offering Indonesian maids for sale
- 'Cek Toko Sebelah' to be screened in Chinese cinemas
- US court rules for Colorado 'intersex' veteran denied passport
- US sanctions Chinese military unit for buying Russian jets, missiles
- Jokowi imposes moratorium on palm oil plantations
- Creator of 3-D printed guns flies to Taiwan amid US sex assault accusation
- Balinale set to return with award-winning movies, guests
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Tourism Ministry declares five dishes national food
- Groups welcome Jokowi’s palm plantation moratorium