Ahok thanks birthday well wishers
Ivany Atina Arbi
The Jakarta Post
Former Jakarta governor Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama, who is currently detained at the National Police’s Mobile Brigade headquarters (Mako Brimob) in Depok, West Java, for blasphemy, has written a thank-you note to his supporters who wished him a happy birthday on Twitter and Instagram.
“I thank you all for your prayers and support on my birthday, and I am sorry for not being able to welcome you all at Mako Brimob,” Ahok wrote on a piece of paper, which was copied by his team and posted on his Instagram account @basukibtp.
His supporters used the birthday occasion to complain about Jakarta’s deteriorating condition on Ahok's Instagram account. He turned 52 on Friday.
Many prayers were offered by his supporters as well as Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan who defeated Ahok in last year’s gubernatorial election.
“Happy birthday, I wish you health and happiness and I hope you have a good interaction with all,” Anies said at City Hall on Friday.
Prayers were also said by public figures like actor Gading Martin and presenter Indra Bekti who both left messages on Ahok's Instagram account.
- 'Cek Toko Sebelah' to be screened in Chinese cinemas
- US court rules for Colorado 'intersex' veteran denied passport
- US sanctions Chinese military unit for buying Russian jets, missiles
- Groups welcome Jokowi’s palm plantation moratorium
- Jokowi imposes moratorium on palm oil plantations
- Saudi woman's case against father stirs 'guardianship' debate
- Land owners unseal 46 schools after promise to hire them as civil servants
- Russia warns US it is 'playing with fire' with sanctions
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- BTS to appear on ‘America’s Got Talent’