Family support key for women diplomats in breaking glass ceiling
Sita W. Dewi
The Jakarta Post
When President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo appointed career diplomat Retno LP Marsudi as the foreign minister in his Cabinet, a thick glass ceiling was broken.
Retno is the first woman to assume the post, the country’s highest diplomatic position and one that had long been held by men. This does not mean, however, that all women diplomats in Indonesia have smooth sailing ahead.
- Obama dancing in Kenya sends world aflutter
- Student allegedly paralyzed after being told to do 120 jump squats as punishment
- Russian tourist allegedly gang-raped in India
- Malaysia issues arrest warrants for ex-1MDB executives
- Too ugly, too smelly: Jakarta covers up ‘Black River’ for Asian Games
- Thailand's cave boys wake up at home for first time in weeks
- Indonesia sees 7 brutal animal killings in 2018
- Rapes and beatings: The torments of South Korea's young athletes
- Joey Alexander’s new music video showcases the beauty of Bali
- China seizes 156 mammoth tusks in huge ivory haul