KPK to grill Aceh governor over alleged corruption
Kharishar Kahfi and Hotli Simanjuntak
The Jakarta Post
The Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) has said that Aceh Governor Irwandi Yusuf is implicated in alleged corruption related to the province’s Rp 8 trillion (US$557 million) special autonomy fund.
"Our team is currently conducting an in-depth investigation into the confiscated money of Rp 500 million (US$34,800), which is allegedly connected to the 2018 Aceh autonomy fund," KPK spokesman Febri Diansyah said on Wednesday.
The KPK has released no further details on the alleged crime.
Irwandi was arrested on Tuesday evening along with Bener Meriah Regent Ahmadi and eight other individuals in connection with the case.
The two regional heads were flown to Jakarta for further questioning on Wednesday morning. Irwandi and Ahmadi were spotted at Sultan Iskandar Muda International Airport in the provincial capital of Banda Aceh before boarding a flight to Jakarta.
Irwandi, a former leader of the Free Aceh Movement (GAM), is the second Aceh governor to be implicated in a corruption case after Abdullah Puteh. Abdullah was sentenced to 10 years for graft in connection with the procurement of an $872,500 MI-2 Rostov helicopter. (ahw)
- Jokowi’s surprise for Korea
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- US politician stands to win election by one vote
- Sexual harassment victim ordered to start prison sentence next week
- Semen Indonesia acquires Holcim Indonesia
- Christian school rumor leads to closure of vocational academy in Batam
- Palm oil waste-fueled generators produce electricity in Kutai
- Merpati escapes bankruptcy, but no guarantee it will fly again
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high
- Prabowo plans Singapore-like taxes for Indonesia