KPK to grill Aceh governor over alleged corruption
Kharishar Kahfi and Hotli Simanjuntak
The Jakarta Post
The Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) has said that Aceh Governor Irwandi Yusuf is implicated in alleged corruption related to the province’s Rp 8 trillion (US$557 million) special autonomy fund.
"Our team is currently conducting an in-depth investigation into the confiscated money of Rp 500 million (US$34,800), which is allegedly connected to the 2018 Aceh autonomy fund," KPK spokesman Febri Diansyah said on Wednesday.
The KPK has released no further details on the alleged crime.
Irwandi was arrested on Tuesday evening along with Bener Meriah Regent Ahmadi and eight other individuals in connection with the case.
The two regional heads were flown to Jakarta for further questioning on Wednesday morning. Irwandi and Ahmadi were spotted at Sultan Iskandar Muda International Airport in the provincial capital of Banda Aceh before boarding a flight to Jakarta.
Irwandi, a former leader of the Free Aceh Movement (GAM), is the second Aceh governor to be implicated in a corruption case after Abdullah Puteh. Abdullah was sentenced to 10 years for graft in connection with the procurement of an $872,500 MI-2 Rostov helicopter. (ahw)
- Own up to mass Muslim detentions, Amnesty tells China
- Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift in Guam waters
- Mount Anak Krakatau erupts, ‘caution’ status maintained
- Insight: New development pathway for Indonesia
- Flights not yet affected by Mt. Anak Krakatau eruption, authorities say
- Brotherhood chief, 65 others get life for Egypt attack
- Trump's tariffs on $200b of Chinese imports kick in
- Journalist murdered in Mexico, ninth of 2018
- Supreme Court pick's accuser agrees to testify Thursday
- Nike-Kaepernick: A marriage of ideals?