Fire in Transportation Ministry building, three dead
The Jakarta Post
A fire gutted the 25th floor of the Transportation Ministry on Jl. Medan Merdeka Barat, Central Jakarta, early on Sunday morning. Three men have reportedly been killed in the incident.
"Three people died. Two construction workers and one Transportation Ministry official," said Jakarta Deputy Governor Sandiaga Uno who arrived at the scene, as quoted by kumparan.com.
The police later confirmed the three had died due to asphyxia.
The fire is believed to have started around 4.15 a.m.
A ministry official, Supandi, said workers involved in renovation on the 18th floor were reportedly still trapped in the building.
He said the office building was engulfed in smoke when he arrived and he saw workers shouting from an upper-floor window.
They also dropped a message to people below.
“The message read ‘Help, too much smoke, the emergency stairs are in darkness’,” said Supandi as quoted by antara.com. (wit)
- Warding off Lembu Sora’s curse at Mt. Kelud crater
- Militants attack Iran army parade killing civilians: state media
- New bombshell revives debate on Trump fitness for office
- Truck full of bodies draws Mexicans searching for relatives
- Top Muhammadiyah figure resigns as Jokowi’s special envoy
- Trump outburst over Kavanaugh's female accuser sparks hashtag trend
- First to red planet will become Martians: Canada astronaut
- Police probe new drug rape claims against US doctor, girlfriend
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- 'Cek Toko Sebelah' to be screened in Chinese cinemas