Fire in Transportation Ministry building, three dead
The Jakarta Post
A fire gutted the 25th floor of the Transportation Ministry on Jl. Medan Merdeka Barat, Central Jakarta, early on Sunday morning. Three men have reportedly been killed in the incident.
"Three people died. Two construction workers and one Transportation Ministry official," said Jakarta Deputy Governor Sandiaga Uno who arrived at the scene, as quoted by kumparan.com.
The police later confirmed the three had died due to asphyxia.
The fire is believed to have started around 4.15 a.m.
A ministry official, Supandi, said workers involved in renovation on the 18th floor were reportedly still trapped in the building.
He said the office building was engulfed in smoke when he arrived and he saw workers shouting from an upper-floor window.
They also dropped a message to people below.
“The message read ‘Help, too much smoke, the emergency stairs are in darkness’,” said Supandi as quoted by antara.com. (wit)
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- UGM considers expelling alleged sexual abuser amid public pressure
- Lion Air: a deadly crash and a whole lot of questions for Boeing
- Jokowi ratifies seven trade agreements
- Trump fires senior advisor at start of expected White House reshuffle
- Prabowo plans Singapore-like taxes for Indonesia
- Merpati escapes bankruptcy, but no guarantee it will fly again
- ASEAN’s priority: China
- 21 companies to relocate factories from Karawang over high wages
- IS-aligned groups warn of more attacks after Melbourne rampage