Islet C Jakarta reclamation project continues
The Jakarta Post
After being sealed by the Jakarta administration in June, construction projects on the reclaimed islet C in Jakarta Bay have continued. Workers are building a bridge connecting islet C with the Pantai Indah Kapuk 2 complex in Dadap, Tangerang, Banten.
“They are working day and night. They never stopped, even when the islet was sealed,” said a representative of Dadap residents, Waisul Kurnia, as quoted by kompas.com on Wednesday.
Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan sealed the islet on June 7.
Waisul deplored the construction, arguing that it would disadvantage residents of Dadap village because the bridge would cross over the water where they usually fished.
“The area is pretty vital for us fishermen who go fishing every night,” he said.
The bridge would also affect the amount of fish in the water, hence the fishermen would have to sail farther from the shore. “It’ll increase our fishing costs. We would have to go far and compete with bigger fishing vessels,” Waisul added.
Waisul also said Dadap village residents had not been informed that construction would recommence on islet C.
“We need to know whether the bridge will cross our village," he said. (vla)
- BLACKPINK’s Jennie sets records with ‘Solo’ videos
- A father’s love: Wiranto explains why his daughter wears niqab
- Jokowi won't grant Nuril amnesty
- Indonesia mosques spreading radicalism to government workers: Official
- Indonesia's latest economic stimulus package: What you need to know
- AirAsia to move international operations to Soekarno-Hatta airport Terminal 2
- Nissan’s Ghosn arrested over financial law violation
- 6 kg of garbage found in dead whale's stomach in Wakatobi
- Palm oil industry calls on govt to take 'firm' action against Greenpeace
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world