Prabowo considering two figures for VP ticket
The Jakarta Post
Presumptive presidential candidate and Gerindra Party chief patron Prabowo Subianto is reportedly considering two people as running mates, which he will announce on Aug.10, the last day of registration for presidential election candidates.
Gerindra secretary-general Ahmad Muzani refused to name names, but reports are circulating that Agus Harimurti, the oldest son of Democratic Party chairman and former president Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, is one of them.
“As of last night [Sunday evening] we have two names we’re seriously considering for the vice presidential slot. The four parties in the coalition are in the middle of negotiations,” Muzani said, referring to Gerindra, the Democrats, the Prosperous Justice Party (PKS) and the National Mandate Party (PAN).
Agus is said to be one of the strongest contenders for the VP ticket, given his high electability and the position of the Democrats as the second-largest party in Prabowo’s coalition.
But negotiations with the PKS and PAN are still ongoing.
The PKS is insisting that Prabowo pick a PKS figure as his running mate, with party advisory board chairman Salim Segaf al-Jufri on top of the list.
Besides Agus and Salim, Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan and celebrity preacher Abdul Somad Batubara have also been mentioned as potential candidates to run alongside Prabowo next year.
Since last week, secretaries-general of the four parties have been in intensive talks on the VP slot. (foy/swd)
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Of legs and Pancasila: Two petitions battle it out over BLACKPINK ad
- Real Crazy Rich Asian wedding to cost $100 million
- Indonesia plans to make 30 percent biodiesel blend mandatory, studies B100
- Jakarta sinking fast: Experts
- Don’t panic: Indonesian ‘cendol’ different from Singaporean ‘cendol’
- 21 tons of trash flows into Jakarta Bay daily: Researcher
- Indonesia launches One Map Policy to resolve land conflicts
- Wika announces development contracts in 10 countries
- Shopee BLACKPINK commercial too salacious, KPI says