Bir Bintang begins exporting beer to US
The Jakarta Post
Beer producer PT Multi Bintang Indonesia launched on Monday its maiden export of Bir Bintang to the United States after targeting South Korea in May.
With the latest move, Bir Bintang will be available in Asia, Europe, Australia and North America.
“We are proud that Bir Bintang […] will be available in four continents,” Multi Bintang Indonesia president director Michael Chin said during a ceremony to mark the company’s first shipment to the US in Tangerang, Banten, on Monday.
Michael said Bir Bintang was particularly popular among surfers, including those from the US, who regularly visit Indonesia’s beaches and surfing destinations.
“They would be very happy [to find] Bir Bintang in their own country,” he said in a press release received by The Jakarta Post.
Meanwhile, the Industry Ministry’s acting director general of agroindustry, Achmad Sigit Dwiwahjono, expressed his appreciation for the company’s efforts to expand its market abroad.
Excise tax from alcoholic beverages contributed Rp 5.27 trillion (US$360 million) to the 2017 state revenue, a 2.63 percent increase from Rp 5.14 trillion the previous year, he said.
US Embassy senior commercial officer Rosemary Gallant, who also attended Friday’s event, expressed hope that Bir Bintang’s launch to the US could help strengthen cooperation between the two countries.
Indonesia and the US will soon celebrate 70 years of diplomatic ties.
“We may be able to enhance our relationship with the beer export,” she said. (bbn)
- Own up to mass Muslim detentions, Amnesty tells China
- Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift in Guam waters
- Mount Anak Krakatau erupts, ‘caution’ status maintained
- Insight: New development pathway for Indonesia
- Flights not yet affected by Mt. Anak Krakatau eruption, authorities say
- Brotherhood chief, 65 others get life for Egypt attack
- Journalist murdered in Mexico, ninth of 2018
- Trump's tariffs on $200b of Chinese imports kick in
- Supreme Court pick's accuser agrees to testify Thursday
- Nike-Kaepernick: A marriage of ideals?