Asian Games: Lindswell wins gold in her last performance
The Jakarta Post
Wushu athlete Lindswell Kwok, 26, has secured the second gold medal for Indonesia by winning the 2018 Asian Games women’s taijijian competition.
Competing in front of President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo on Monday, Lindswell garnered the highest score of the final round with 9.75 points.
After finishing her performance, she turned to the President and gave him a thumbs up, which he promptly returned.
After Lindswell’s score appeared on the screen, she approached the President and shook his hand.
This is Lindswell’s third attempt at claiming a gold medal at the Asian Games, after also competing in 2010 and 2014, when she won silver in Incheon, South Korea.
She has firmly said that she would retire after the 2018 Games.
According to Lindswell, who began practicing taijijian when she was just 7 years old, staying focused is the key to delivering a good performance.
"Yesterday after my performance, [I told myself] to calm down. But still, I was nervous because I realized that everyone was waiting for my performance since this would be my last," she said.
"My coach reminded me to control myself,” she added, conceding that she had not seen the President in the bleachers at first.
Jokowi later praised Lindswell’s performance and encouraged all Indonesian athletes to maintain the gold-medal spirit.
Uen Ying Juanita Mok of Hongkong and the Phillipines' Agatha Chrystenzen Wong won silver and bronze, respectively. (nkn)
- Boeing ‘confident’ in 737 MAX safety despite aircraft flaw
- Jokowi’s surprise for Korea
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Pence says US to partner in Papua New Guinea military base
- Christian school rumor leads to closure of vocational academy in Batam
- Sexual harassment victim ordered to start prison sentence next week
- US politician stands to win election by one vote
- Semen Indonesia acquires Holcim Indonesia
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high
- Palm oil waste-fueled generators produce electricity in Kutai