Pasuruan zoo welcomes birth of white lion cub
The Jakarta Post
Prigen Safari Park zoo in Pasuruan, East Java, has just welcomed the birth of a white lion cub named Aldovo--the fifth white lion in the zoo.
Aldovo, a male, was born on July 27 to 3-year-old mother Meng Meng and 5-year-old father Kaka.
The zoo’s veterinarian, Dessy, said the other four white lions in the zoo were brought from Chimelong Zoo in China in March, including the couple Meng Meng and Kaka.
“Meng Meng gave birth to Aldovo in a cage during quarantine,” she said on Thursday.
However, Dessy added that right after Meng Meng gave birth to Aldovo, she did not lick her cub like most mammals usually do after the birth process.
“We are now trying to get Meng Meng closer to Aldovo by putting the cub side by side while sleeping, as well as [helping] the suckling process. The suckling period for a white lion cub is one year,” said Prigen Safari Park’s white lion keeper Pon Nasri.
“We’ll also monitor the health of the cub and behavior of the mother as well as the other white lions toward the new-born,” Pon Nasri added.
White lions are nocturnal animals that live in groups. The species is the result of a rare color mutation in the lion, believed to have originated in the Timbavati region of South Africa. The species can be found in several conservation parks in South Africa. (sau/swd)
- President Trump, thank you for not attending ASEAN summit
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high
- JT610 victim's bride takes wedding photo shoot without groom
- Government to issue new regulation on coal permits
- Indonesia to free Bali Nine drug smuggler Lawrence: Official
- US pilots say Boeing didn’t warn of 737 feature tied to crash
- Garuda to reopen Jakarta-London route
- ASEAN’s priority: China
- Lippo's Karawaci flooded, Pejaten Village catches fire