Singer Fariz RM arrested for drugs, again
The Jakarta Post
Singer Fariz Rustam Munaf, popular in the 1980s and 1990s, faces six years’ imprisonment for possession and abuse of crystal methamphetamine, the police said on Sunday.
Jakarta Police spokesperson Sr. Comr. Argo Yuwono said Fariz could get at least six years because he would be charged with violating two laws, Article 112 of the 2009 Drug Law, with a minimum of four years and a maximum of 12 years imprisonment, and Article 62 of the 1997 Psychotropic Law, which carries a maximum of five years in jail.
Fariz was arrested in his home in the Pondok Aren district of South Tangerang, Banten, on Friday, where police seized 0.9 grams of crystal meth - worth around Rp 1.8 million (US$123) according to the National Narcotics Agency - and a meth bong, as well as other pharmaceutical drugs.
“I am clearly not a good example,” said Fariz during a press conference in a police office in North Jakarta on Sunday as reported by kompas.com.
Fariz reportedly bought the drugs from a dealer, identified only as AH, who police had previously arrested in the Koja district in North Jakarta, carrying 0.2 grams of crystal meth.
This is the third time Fariz has been arrested for a drug-related offense. He was arrested in October 2007 while in possession of one and a half marijuana joints, and sentenced to eight months’ imprisonment and rehabilitation. He was arrested again in January 2015, while in possession of marijuana, heroin and meth, and sentenced to another eight months’ imprisonment and rehabilitation. (nor)
- North Sumatra's regent nabbed in antigraft operation
- 22 migrants missing off Morocco after boat capsizes
- Indonesia's latest economic stimulus package: What you need to know
- Republican urges conservatives to run against Trump in 2020
- Trump says doesn't want to hear 'suffering' Khashoggi tape
- 'Waria' told to leave their home in Jakarta amid anti-LGBT campaign
- Political parties clash over sharia-based bylaws
- Your next Uber ride may have a minifridge stocked with snacks
- Indonesia launches 16th economic package
- Boeing ‘confident’ in 737 MAX safety despite aircraft flaw