Asian Games: Towering China claims women’s basketball gold
Stefanno Reinard Sulaiman
The Jakarta Post
China dominated the women’s basketball final on Saturday to win a gold medal after beating Unified Korea 71-65 at the Istora Senayan in Jakarta.
China’s head coach Xu Limin said the key to the victory was good preparation and his athletes’ strength.
“[My players] were all in good condition. We also did well in preparation. We opened the match smoothly, although we also faced some tough situations. I encouraged them to keep working hard until the very end,” said Xu.
“Our fitness, strength and preparation was good. […]," he added.
Meanwhile for the Unified Korea team, reaching the final was a significant milestone in its debut at the Games. The team consisted of players from South Korea and North Korea, but in the Games, the contingent carried its own name, flag and official song.
Proud coach Moonkyu Lee said he believed that his team would do better if the players had more time to train. After the Games, the team is preparing for the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo.
“If we had more time to train, we would’ve played better. Yet, despite the loss, now China knows how strong we are and next time we will show them again,” he said.
China edged the first quarter by scoring 23 points, while Korea scored 22. In the second quarter, however, Korea caught up by winning 16-15. In the third quarter, China led again by 20-15, before rounding up the match by edging the final quarter 13-12. (nkn)
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Jokowi’s surprise for Korea
- UGM considers expelling alleged sexual abuser amid public pressure
- Merpati escapes bankruptcy, but no guarantee it will fly again
- Prabowo plans Singapore-like taxes for Indonesia
- Lion Air: a deadly crash and a whole lot of questions for Boeing
- Jokowi ratifies seven trade agreements
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high
- Trump fires senior advisor at start of expected White House reshuffle
- Indonesia records US$1.82 billion trade deficit in October