Lawyer of former Malaysian PM Najib to be charged with money laundering: Report
Malaysia's anti-graft agency will on Thursday charge the lawyer of former prime minister Najib Razak with money laundering, state news agency Bernama reported.
Muhammad Shafee is leading a defence team for Najib who faces charges of criminal breach of trust, money laundering and abuse of power at state fund 1Malaysia Development Berhad ( 1MDB ).
Shafee will be charged under the anti money laundering act at Jalan Duta court in Kuala Lumpur, Bernama said citing the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC).
No further details were available. It was not clear if the matter was related to MACC's probe into graft at 1MDB.
Local media reports said the senior lawyer has already been arrested, but Reuters could not independently confirm this.
Shafee could not be reached immediately for a comment.
- Boeing ‘confident’ in 737 MAX safety despite aircraft flaw
- Jokowi’s surprise for Korea
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Pence says US to partner in Papua New Guinea military base
- Christian school rumor leads to closure of vocational academy in Batam
- Sexual harassment victim ordered to start prison sentence next week
- US politician stands to win election by one vote
- Semen Indonesia acquires Holcim Indonesia
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high
- Palm oil waste-fueled generators produce electricity in Kutai