Lawyer of former Malaysian PM Najib to be charged with money laundering: Report
Malaysia's anti-graft agency will on Thursday charge the lawyer of former prime minister Najib Razak with money laundering, state news agency Bernama reported.
Muhammad Shafee is leading a defence team for Najib who faces charges of criminal breach of trust, money laundering and abuse of power at state fund 1Malaysia Development Berhad ( 1MDB ).
Shafee will be charged under the anti money laundering act at Jalan Duta court in Kuala Lumpur, Bernama said citing the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC).
No further details were available. It was not clear if the matter was related to MACC's probe into graft at 1MDB.
Local media reports said the senior lawyer has already been arrested, but Reuters could not independently confirm this.
Shafee could not be reached immediately for a comment.
- Own up to mass Muslim detentions, Amnesty tells China
- Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift in Guam waters
- Instagram co-founders step down from company: NYT
- K-Pop stars BTS at UN urge world's youth to 'just speak yourself'
- China says can't hold US trade talks with 'knife to the throat'
- 'Scandal' website portrays Sandiaga Uno as womanizer
- The Indonesian kid who stirs the Hollywood Bowl: Malea Emma Tjandrawidjaja
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Iran in the spotlight as Trump, Rouhani set for UN clash
- Transjakarta bus crashes to avoid hitting street sweeper