Embattled Aceh governor files pretrial motion against KPK
Karina M. Tehusijarana
The Jakarta Post
Non-active Aceh governor Irwandi Yusuf filed a pretrial motion against the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) on Tuesday for naming him a suspect in a graft case involving the province's special autonomy funds.
KPK officers arrested Irwandi in July along with non-active Bener Meriah regent Ahmadi and eight other individuals following suspicious transactions allegedly involving provincial and regency officials. Soon after, Irwandi and four others were named suspects and accused of scheming to embezzle Rp 8 trillion (US$557 million) from the province’s special autonomy funds.
In the pretrial motion, which was filed at the South Jakarta District Court, Irwandi and his legal team claimed that he never asked for or received any money relating to the special autonomy funds and cited his return of Rp 39 million to the KPK as a gratuity report.
The KPK said it respected Irwandi's right to file the motion but requested that the court delay the hearing until next week.
"However, from our preliminary reading [of the motion], we feel that the suspect talks about many other things that have no direct connection [with the case] and also talks more about the main case, which should not be the domain of a pretrial hearing," KPK spokesman Febri Diansyah said.
"The KPK prepared strong evidence during the investigation process and has even named [Irwandi] a suspect in another case."
The KPK named Irwandi a suspect in a separate case on Monday regarding unlawful gratuities he allegedly accepted in connection with botched pier construction in Sabang’s free-trade area in Aceh. (ipa)
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Jakarta sinking fast: Experts
- Of legs and Pancasila: Two petitions battle it out over BLACKPINK ad
- Lotte Chemical Indonesia begins construction of plant in Cilegon
- Don’t panic: Indonesian ‘cendol’ different from Singaporean ‘cendol’
- Indonesia plans to make 30 percent biodiesel blend mandatory, studies B100
- Jokowi stresses tolerance at cultural congress conclusion
- Prabowo answers all your burning questions in his little blue book
- Indonesia’s e-commerce sales predicted to reach US$65b in 2022
- Low deficits and fiscal prudence