Police arrest serial robbery suspect
The Jakarta Post
West Jakarta Police arrested a suspected serial robber, David, 28, on Tuesday evening in Cilincing, North Jakarta.
The arrest was made after several victims reported the suspect for robberies on Monday night on Jl. S Parman and in front of the Garuda restaurant in Tomang, Grogol Petamburan, West Jakarta.
“The suspect’s modus operandi is that he drove a motorcycle and tried to hit a victim to knock them over. The suspect then took the victim’s motorcycle and belongings and fled the scene,” West Jakarta Criminal Investigation Department head Sr. Adj. Comr. Edi Suranta Sitepu said on Wednesday, kompas.com reported.
He said the suspect confessed to the police that he robbed his victims along with five accomplices, whom the police are still hunting.
Edi said the group is also believed to have hypnotized their victims before robbing them.
“The suspects asked their victims for directions when they had pulled over to the side of the road. Then another suspect would tap on the victim’s shoulder who would then collapse,” he said.
“The suspects stole their victim’s belongings,” he added.
The group allegedly carried out 35 such crimes in various places in West Jakarta over the past year.
He said the police were still investigating the case in the hunt for more suspects as well as to gather more evidence. (ami)
- West Jakarta early childhood school dismantled in front of students
- Indonesia attracts buyers at Hamburg COTECA trade expo
- Saudi Arabia's foreign minister to visit Indonesia
- In China's Catholic heartland, Vatican deal brings Communist Party closer
- Meikarta graft case: KPK searches residence of Lippo Group CEO James Riady
- Saudi Arabia admits Khashoggi killed in Istanbul consulate
- The other side of Korea: Art, food and history
- US 'saddened' Saudi journalist dead, no mention of action
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Trump: Saudi explanation of Khashoggi death credible, 'important first step'