South Tangerang boy drowns in water-filled construction hole
Ida I. Khouw
The Jakarta Post
A deep pool of water in a recently excavated hole on a toll road project site in South Tangerang claimed the life of a 12-year-old boy named Zen Arif Yuniarto on Wednesday night.
The boy's body was recovered from the hole on the Cinere-Serpong Jaya toll road project in Pondok Cabe Udik.
Zen was reportedly playing with five friends around the pool at about 5 p.m.
Two of them, including Zen, got into trouble while swimming in the deep water, tribunjakarta.com reported on Thursday.
A nearby resident only managed to rescue Zen’s friend.
Zen’s body was found at 8 p.m. after other residents searched the area using flashlights in the rain.
One of the rescuers, Ujang, 65, said the pool was about 5 meters deep.
“I often see [children playing around the pool] and warn them to not swim [there], but they are just children [who ignore warnings] when inspectors of the project are not around,” Ujang said.
A safety hazard signpost was only installed at the excavation site after the fatal incident, he added.
The 10.14-kilometer Cinere-Serpong Jaya toll road is currently under construction. It is expected to open in 2019. (sau)
- Transgender people assaulted by dozens of men in Bekasi
- A father’s love: Wiranto explains why his daughter wears niqab
- Ed Sheeran on BTS: ‘I think they are great’
- Indonesia's latest economic stimulus package: What you need to know
- Foreign investors allowed to own 100% shares in 25 business units
- 6 kg of garbage found in dead whale's stomach in Wakatobi
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Whale shark seen in Jakarta Bay
- Crown prince a 'red line' in Khashoggi probe: Saudi FM
- BLACKPINK’s Jennie sets records with ‘Solo’ videos