Jakarta Post

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Video Weather icon 30°C
DKI Jakarta, Indonesia
30°C Partly Cloudy

Dry and mostly cloudy throughout the day.

  • Wed

    26℃ - 32℃

  • Thu

    25℃ - 32℃

  • Fri

    25℃ - 31℃

  • Sat

    26℃ - 30℃

International criminal court opens initial probes into Duterte drug war

  •  

    Agence France-Presse

The Hague, Netherlands | Thu, February 8, 2018 | 07:14 pm
International criminal court opens initial probes into Duterte drug war The international criminal court is to examine complaints against President Rodrigo Duterte. (Philippine Daily Inquirer /Joan Bondoc )

The prosecutor at the world's only permanent war crimes court said Thursday she was opening initial probes into allegations that thousands of people have been killed during the "war on drugs" in the Philippines.

"Since 2016, I have closely followed the situations" in both the Philippines and Venezuela, prosecutor Fatou Bensouda said in a statement, and after "a careful, independent and impartial review... I have decided to open a preliminary examination into each situation."

The Guardian newspaper reported that a report submitted to the international criminal court (ICC) last year laid out evidence that Duterte had been directly responsible for “extrajudicial executions and mass murder” over three decades since he began his war on drugs as mayor of Davao in 1988.

According to official statistics, 4,000 people have been killed by the police in anti-drug operations since Duterte became president. However, the 77-page report submitted by a Philippine lawyer, Jude Sabio, alleged the death toll was over 8,000.

NEWS PULSE

Join the discussions