Jakarta Post

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Video Weather icon 30°C
DKI Jakarta, Indonesia
30°C Partly Cloudy

Partly cloudy starting tomorrow afternoon.

  • Wed

    24℃ - 32℃

  • Thu

    24℃ - 32℃

  • Fri

    25℃ - 32℃

  • Sat

    26℃ - 32℃

Duterte sorry for Hong Kong deaths in 2010 hostage crisis

  •  

    Agence France-Presse

Manila, Philippines | Thu, April 12, 2018 | 08:55 pm
 Duterte sorry for Hong Kong deaths in 2010 hostage crisis This handout photograph released by the Presidential Photo Division (PPD) on October 25, 2017 shows Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte (R) posing for a picture with Alibaba Group founder and Executive Chairman Jack Ma during a courtesy call at the Malacanang Palace in Manila. (AFP/KING RODRIGUEZ / PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO DIVISION )

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte on Thursday formally apologised over the deaths of eight Hong Kong tourists in a 2010 Manila hostage crisis that soured ties with the Chinese territory.

The incident happened under previous president Benigno Aquino who had rejected Hong Kong's demands for an apology because he said the hijacker caused the crisis.

However Duterte on Thursday said an apology to "the Chinese government and the people of China" was "only right" and necessary.

"From the bottom of my heart as the president of the Republic of the Philippines and in behalf of the people of the Philippines, may I apologise formally to you now," Duterte said in a speech before the Filipino community in Hong Kong.

"We are sorry that the incident happened and as humanly possible, I would like to make this guarantee also that it will never, never happen again."

Hong Kong had been infuriated by the Philippine government's response to the incident, in which a disgraced former police officer hijacked a tour bus in protest at his sacking.

Day-long negotiations to release the hostages trapped on the bus failed and, with the drama being broadcast live around the world, Philippine security forces bungled a rescue attempt.

A deeply emotional row was resolved in 2014 after the Philippine government expressed "its most sorrowful regret and profound sympathy" but avoided a formal apology.

An apology was instead issued by the Manila city government.

Duterte, 73, was elected in mid-2016 and had sought to improve his nation's relations with Beijing despite a territorial row over the South China Sea as he courted investments and trade from the world's second-largest economy.

He visited Hong Kong after participating in the Boao Forum -- dubbed the Asian Davos -- in China where he met with President Xi Jinping on Tuesday.

Thursday's apology came as Duterte declared the Philippines' "love" for China. 

"I hope this would go a long way to really assuage the feeling of the Chinese people and government," Duterte said.

NEWS PULSE

Join the discussions