Malaka eyes Timor Leste tourists with Wonderful Indonesia concert
The Jakarta Post
As an effort to promote cross-border tourism in Malaka regency, East Nusa Tenggara, the regency administration alongside the Tourism Ministry are going to hold a Wonderful Indonesia-themed concert called Rai Malaka on May 12.
The event is slated to be held at the Integrated Cross-Border Post (PLBN) Lapangan Motamasin, which is very close to the border area between Indonesia and Timor Leste.
“We’re hoping to attract 1,000 people [from Timor Leste] to the event,” said Malaka Tourism Agency head Rofinus Bau.
He added that Maria G Klau, Aline and Garis Suri would be performing at the concert and visitors could also expect to purchase food and drinks provided by local merchants.
Malaka used to be a part of Belu regency, but in 2013 it officially became as separate regency.
Many people from Timor Leste go shopping or sightseeing in Malaka, “the price of goods in Indonesia is a lot cheaper than in Timor Leste,” Rofinus explained.
One of Malaka’s main tourist attractions is the Motadikin Beach located 11 kilometers away from the border. Visitors can see fish ponds before entering the beach and walk on white sand while enjoying the sunset. (kes)
- Seven fasting tips for diabetics
- Terrorism Law still in limbo
- Macron, Trudeau 'bromance' fires up internet
- China sets up semifinal thriller against Japan in Sudirman Cup
- Former first lady calls for fight against intolerance
- My frogs have been eaten by a monitor lizard: Jokowi
- Urging love, Ariana Grande plans show for Manchester attack victims
- ‘Jamu’ fuels Jokowi’s frenetic schedule
- South Korea too strong for Thais to reach Sudirman Cup final