Kotawaringin to host 2017 Isen Mulang Cultural Festival
The Jakarta Post
The 2017 Isen Mulang Cultural Festival will take place in East Kotawaringin regency, Central Kalimantan, from May 19 to 22.
The four-day event aims to preserve and promote the many varieties of Central Kalimantan Dayak culture and will be presented in the form of a carnival, featuring performances and competitions for travelers and locals alike.
“Our target is to attract 10,000 local tourists and 500 foreign tourists,” said Esthy Reko Astuti, the ministry's archipelago tourism marketing development deputy.
The event will be held in four different locations: Sampit City Park, the Mentaya River, Borneo Citymall and Sampit City’s 29 Nopember Stadium.
Read also: A very sacred Dayak ritual
“The event will have 20 main activities such as a cultural carnival joined by hundreds of participants, the Putra Putri Pariwisata beauty pageant, traditional dances and traditional activities such as Karungut, Mamasak, Mangaruhi and Balogo,” said Timur Fajrurrahman, head of the East Kotawaringin regency tourism and culture department.
“The Putera Puteri Pariwisata beauty pageant will be the main event of the festival. Thirteen regencies and one city in and around Central Kalimantan will participate in the event. The winners will advance to the National Putra Puteri Pariwisata competition,” Astuti added.
Local products from Central Kalimantan will also be showcased at the festival's Kalteng Expo. There, visitors will have a chance to see products made by local craftsmen, micro, small and medium enterprises (UMKM) and cooperatives. (asw)
- Survey finds Jakarta among world’s worst for women
- Barack Obama returns to the political arena
- Marinda airport in Raja Ampat set to become international airport
- More drug dealers to be shot dead: BNN chief
- Across Asia, liver cancer is linked to herbal remedies: Study
- EDITORIAL: Jokowi grows on the job
- North Jakarta group cancels Alexis Hotel protest
- Airline, bank reach for the sky with e-money
- Philippines to reject EU aid: Duterte
- Preventing osteoporosis: How to boost bone health