Belu holds 2nd Atambua International Motorcross sports event
Belu regency in East Nusa Tenggara (NTT) recently hosted the Atambua International Motocross (AIM) sports event on Nov. 11-12.
The event, held at Haliwen Atambua Circuit, was officiated by Belu Deputy Regent JT Ose Luan.
Racers from both Atambua and neighboring country Timor Leste reportedly took part in the race.
“Up to 113 racers participated in the event; 20 of them are from Timor Leste. Additionally, there are also Indonesian racers from different cities in East Nusa Tenggara,” told the event’s committee head Manuel Da Silva.
More than 15,000 people came to see the race, which was the second AIM event held in Atambua this year. The previous one was held in the month of August.
Read also: Likurai dance for victors
Haliwen Atambua Circuit is a very strategic location for this event, as it is located only 30 minutes from the Motaain border and can be reached in five minutes by plane.
Other than sport events, Atambua also regularly holds music concerts featuring popular bands such as Slank, Jamrud and Tipe X.
Tourism Minister Arief Yahya said President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo’s policy is one of the reasons why Atambua is holding plenty of events to attract overseas tourists.
“This is the impact of President Jokowi’s free-visa policy for tourists from Timor Leste,” told Arief.
Moreover, this year the runway of A. A. Bere Tallo Atambua Airport will be extended from 1,600 meters to 1,800 meters. Currently, Wings Air is the only airline that offers flights to Atambua. (kes)
- 8.2 magnitude quake hits off coast of Alaska: USGS
- Jakarta Planetarium to host public lunar eclipse observation on Jan 31
- Depok men arrested for allegedly uploading sex video
- Auction lowered price of industrial sugar, Trade Ministry says
- BREAKING: Strong 6.4 earthquake hits Banten, no tsunami warning
- Earthquake leads to traffic jams in Jakarta
- Defector soldier 'committed murder in North Korea': report
- Jokowi criticizes regions for lengthy business permit issuance
- Hundreds of houses damaged by Lebak earthquake
- BI to punish payment service providers using Bitcoin