Freedom from poverty: reflection on Heroes Day
Putu Geniki L. Natih
Jardine-Oxford doctoral scholar at Oxford University
It was on Nov. 10, 1945 in Surabaya, a day we cherish as Heroes Day, that Indonesia’s illustrious champion of freedom, Bung Tomo, inspired his people with an impassioned speech, galvanizing all to stand firm against the colonial invaders and to choose, “Freedom, freedom or death!”
Instructing his followers not to shoot first, his aim was to respect all human ...
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not reflect the official stance of The Jakarta Post.
You might also like :
- 17 missing students in North Sumatra flood rescued
- 19 killed, dozens missing in floods striking N. Sumatra
- #UninstallGojek trends after executive shows support for LGBT community
- Thousands march in Chicago against Trump's 'anti-woman agenda'
- Netherlands appeals court ruling that finds it liable for Indonesian's torture
- Floods, landslide kill nine in West Sumatra, Riau
- US wants "regime change" in Iran: Rouhani
- KPK urged to be resolute in solving IndonesiaLeaks report case
- Beauty from a Korean perspective
- Erdogan, Saudi king discuss case of missing journalist: Turkish presidency