Is fear of demographic change driving bigotry?
Columnist and contributor for Magdalene
PREMIUM Beware of the political year that is 2018, they said. On Jan. 27, police in North Aceh arrested transgender hairdressers and humiliated them before claiming that “queer people are more dangerous than terrorists.” The next Monday, subscribers of this newspaper woke up to the headline “Criminal Code bill threatens freedom”, which, for many, sounded terrifying. Yes, Indones...
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not reflect the official stance of The Jakarta Post.
You might also like :
- Anwar reassures Malays who fear losing racial advantage
- To fast or not? Free of IS, Syrians in Raqa mark relaxed Ramadhan
- Joey Alexander among '50 Asians to watch'
- After 20 years, tough road ahead
- Anwar Ibrahim's Jakarta visit packed with media interviews
- Danish minister says Ramadan fasting can be 'dangerous'
- How new antiterrorism law will change Indonesia's war on terror
- Jambi tribes may not be able to vote in upcoming elections
- Video of Malaysian PM Mahathir driving Proton Perdana goes viral
- Police nab ‘conspiracy theorists’ following Surabaya bombings