Is fear of demographic change driving bigotry?
Columnist and contributor for Magdalene
PREMIUM Beware of the political year that is 2018, they said. On Jan. 27, police in North Aceh arrested transgender hairdressers and humiliated them before claiming that “queer people are more dangerous than terrorists.” The next Monday, subscribers of this newspaper woke up to the headline “Criminal Code bill threatens freedom”, which, for many, sounded terrifying. Yes, Indones...
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not reflect the official stance of The Jakarta Post.
You might also like :
- Bali to develop offshore airport
- Yogyakarta to transform into Indonesian Silicon Valley
- German arrested over alleged drug smuggling
- Winners of the 2018 Brit Awards
- Five feared dead, dozens buried in Brebes landslide
- Soul-searching as symbol of 70s Singapore faces demolition
- Bentley launches third generation Continental GT in Indonesia
- Indonesia introduces tax data integration system to boost transparency
- Provincial governments to maximize inter-province trade
- ‘Fire and Fury’: Desperately seeking the truth about Donald Trump