Is fear of demographic change driving bigotry?
Columnist and contributor for Magdalene
PREMIUM Beware of the political year that is 2018, they said. On Jan. 27, police in North Aceh arrested transgender hairdressers and humiliated them before claiming that “queer people are more dangerous than terrorists.” The next Monday, subscribers of this newspaper woke up to the headline “Criminal Code bill threatens freedom”, which, for many, sounded terrifying. Yes, Indones...
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not reflect the official stance of The Jakarta Post.
You might also like :
- Moon, Kim get peace award from Indonesian community
- Nudist beach surfer punches shark to escape attack
- West Jakarta early childhood school dismantled in front of students
- Three expat teachers detained in Balikpapan for visa violations
- Only 2% of ads show women as leaders: Study
- Gay couple arrested in Bandung as anti-LGBT wave grips W. Java
- Saudi Arabia admits Khashoggi killed in Istanbul consulate
- Trump: Saudi explanation of Khashoggi death credible, 'important first step'
- US 'saddened' Saudi journalist dead, no mention of action
- Here comes Bui Squad: Palu inmates help earthquake, tsunami survivors