Is fear of demographic change driving bigotry?
Columnist and contributor for Magdalene
PREMIUM Beware of the political year that is 2018, they said. On Jan. 27, police in North Aceh arrested transgender hairdressers and humiliated them before claiming that “queer people are more dangerous than terrorists.” The next Monday, subscribers of this newspaper woke up to the headline “Criminal Code bill threatens freedom”, which, for many, sounded terrifying. Yes, Indones...
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not reflect the official stance of The Jakarta Post.
You might also like :
- Muslim couple denied Swiss citizenship over handshake refusal
- US man charged with killing pregnant wife and two toddlers
- President, first lady celebrate Sumatran culture on Independence Day
- Google launches special features for Asian Games 2018
- Cricket hero Imran Khan sworn in as Pakistan PM
- National Folk Museum of Korea to bring ‘mobile museums’ to Asian Games
- US threatens more Turkey sanctions if pastor not freed
- Jokowi opens Asian Games in dazzling ceremony
- Asian Games: Japanese athletes, officials comfortable staying in athletes villag...
- Jokowi defends his infrastructure program