Earthquakes, tsunamis and floods: Unlearning the past
It is with some sadness that I have watched the news footage from Palu, Central Sulawesi, a city I lived in for a year when working on the Gumbasa irrigation project in the valley. I had experienced this before from three years living in Banda Aceh, then returning after the tsunami to rebuild irrigation schemes.
During some 30 years working around Indonesia and Southeast Asia,...
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not reflect the official stance of The Jakarta Post.
You might also like :
- Moon, Kim get peace award from Indonesian community
- Only 2% of ads show women as leaders: Study
- Malea Emma Tjandrawidjaja stuns 'American Idol' judges
- Here comes Bui Squad: Palu inmates help earthquake, tsunami survivors
- Nudist beach surfer punches shark to escape attack
- Dark side of K-pop: The East Light leader claims years of abuse
- Saudi Arabia deployed Twitter army against critics: NY Times
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- North Korea's box of bones: A mythical king and the dream of Korean unification
- Partygoers burn police vehicles after being denied dancing