Happy says TV soaps taught her a lot
The Jakarta Post
JAKARTA: Actress and writer Happy Salma has won awards for her acting on the big screen, but she says it was her start in TV soaps that taught her a lot about people and her artistic goals.
“For me, the experience can be compared to visiting Jakarta’s different neighborhoods, either you go to a rough one or visit a more exclusive one,” Happy, who turned 32 last week, told The Jakarta Post on Tuesday.
“Sometimes you have to deal with people whose only concern is that the program gets done, regardless of quality. That was a bit frustrating, but it also taught me a lot about the characteristics of people.”
Happy, who is planning to reprise her 2011 theatrical performance as former president Sukarno’s second wife, Inggit Ganarsih, in Jakarta in March, says she has found the necessary balance in her life and career.
“I now know how to choose between those projects that are more commercial and those that are more to my artistic interests,” she says.
Scheduled for release on the film festival circuit this year is Description Without Place, which Happy produced and also stars in. It was shot in Bali, where she lives with her Balinese royal husband.
She visited the Cannes Film Festival last year after winning the best actress award at the Indonesian Movie Awards for 7 Hati, 7 Cinta, 7 Wanita (Seven Hearts, Seven Loves, Seven Women).
- Jokowi treason arrests questioned
- Papua to see air navigation system upgrades to prevent more crashes
- N. Jakarta district court chief to lead Ahok's blasphemy trial
- Taeyeon and Wiz Khalifa tussle over MAMA performance
- Slow economic growth predicted in 2017: Economists
- Ahok blasphemy trial to start Thursday
- Car Free Day initiator wants ‘Kita Indonesia’ organizer to apologize
- KPK signs agreement with police, AGO to ease monitoring of graft cases
- Pilot of crashed plane promised to go home to East Nusa Tenggara for Christmas
- Indonesia investment board upbeat about 2017, tourism potential