S Tangerang staff to wear Muslim attire once a week
Multa Fidrus and Dicky Christanto
The Jakarta Post
South Tangerang Mayor Airin Rachmi Diany announced
on Wednesday the administration's plan for all Muslim staff to wear
Muslim attire every Friday while non-Muslims should continue to wear their civil
Airin said that all male employees would wear long-sleeve collarless shirts 'locally known as baju koko ' and the traditional black cone-shaped hat ' known as peci ' while their female counterparts should wear hijab, a loose dress and a long white skirt or loose pants. She believed this policy could have a positive effect on employees' working performance.
Similarly, Tangerang Mayor Wahidin Halim had earlier said staff must wear Muslim clothes in an effort to build the administration's religious atmosphere.
Commenting on this, deputy director of the Human Rights Working Group (HRWG) Choirul Anam said that the mayor was seriously mistaken in interpreting Islamic values.
'Accelerate physical development by building public facilities, providing better health access and education ' especially for the poor ' and implement monitoring to avoid corruption. These
are more Islamic than requiring people to wear Muslim attire,' he told The Jakarta Post.
He said the mayor's initiative was a clear violation of the constitution and Home Affairs Minister Gamawan Fauzi should conduct a thorough evaluation of the new policy.
- Rain and Kim Tae-hee exchange wedding vows
- NU, Muhammadiyah suffer setbacks over their roles in society
- Police step up investigation into Rizieq Shihab
- 'Dangal' named highest grossing Bollywood movie of all time
- Ex-Garuda Indonesia CEO named as corruption suspect on Rolls-Royce engines purchasing
- ‘Kimi no Na wa’ (Your Name.) now hailed as highest grossing anime film
- Cases against FPI leader may boost Ahok’s electability: Researcher
- Agus still front runner, but Ahok's popularity increasing: Survey
- Agus could win in West, East Jakarta, Ahok in Central, North Jakarta: Pollster
- US ambassador visits pesantren to learn about Islam