S Tangerang staff to wear Muslim attire once a week
Multa Fidrus and Dicky Christanto
The Jakarta Post
South Tangerang Mayor Airin Rachmi Diany announced
on Wednesday the administration's plan for all Muslim staff to wear
Muslim attire every Friday while non-Muslims should continue to wear their civil
Airin said that all male employees would wear long-sleeve collarless shirts 'locally known as baju koko ' and the traditional black cone-shaped hat ' known as peci ' while their female counterparts should wear hijab, a loose dress and a long white skirt or loose pants. She believed this policy could have a positive effect on employees' working performance.
Similarly, Tangerang Mayor Wahidin Halim had earlier said staff must wear Muslim clothes in an effort to build the administration's religious atmosphere.
Commenting on this, deputy director of the Human Rights Working Group (HRWG) Choirul Anam said that the mayor was seriously mistaken in interpreting Islamic values.
'Accelerate physical development by building public facilities, providing better health access and education ' especially for the poor ' and implement monitoring to avoid corruption. These
are more Islamic than requiring people to wear Muslim attire,' he told The Jakarta Post.
He said the mayor's initiative was a clear violation of the constitution and Home Affairs Minister Gamawan Fauzi should conduct a thorough evaluation of the new policy.
You might also like :
- Convicted drug smuggler Corby returns to Australia from Bali
- Man nabbed for spreading fake chat impersonating top cops
- Three dead as truck rams into motorcyclists in Medan
- North Jakarta sees 45 fires in four months
- Ericsson, ITB collaborate for Internet of Things research
- Extraordinary measures needed to root out terrorists: BIN chief
- Girl locked up for days by new Facebook friend in West Jakarta
- Investigation of helicopter procurement graft might target higher officials
- China to play South Korea in Sudirman Cup final
- Wonogiri celebrates anniversary with colossal dance, cultural carnival