The Five Mountains Festival
The Jakarta Post
This year's Five Mountains Festival was held in Mantran village on the slopes of Mount Andong in Magelang, Central Java, on June 30. The event, convened to celebrate local arts and culture, was created by the peoples living on a host of nearby mountains and volcanoes: Andong, Menoreh, Merapi, Merbabu and Sumbing.
The festival, which recently completed its 12th iteration, has been enlivened in recent years by the participation of various cities from different parts of Java.
The festival is a people's party ' a grassroots event. The cost and fees for hosting the visiting artists and the event have been borne by the members of the mountain communicites without any government sponsorship.
'We strive to be independent, to the best of our capacity, without relying on the minister, the governor or the regent,' Sutanto Mendut, a local community leader said during a speech to open the event.
'The governor and regent are welcome, but don't use us as a means to reach an end. It's an occasion for the people with full freedom,' Sutanto said.
' Photos by Tarko Sudiarno
You might also like :
- Convicted drug smuggler Corby returns to Australia from Bali
- Three dead as truck rams into motorcyclists in Medan
- Man nabbed for spreading fake chat impersonating top cops
- Police arrest another man with suspected links to E. Jakarta bombings
- Girl locked up for days by new Facebook friend in West Jakarta
- Extraordinary measures needed to root out terrorists: BIN chief
- Investigation of helicopter procurement graft might target higher officials
- North Jakarta sees 45 fires in four months
- Ericsson, ITB collaborate for Internet of Things research
- Jakarta train stations to provide passengers with 'takjil'