The Five Mountains Festival
The Jakarta Post
This year's Five Mountains Festival was held in Mantran village on the slopes of Mount Andong in Magelang, Central Java, on June 30. The event, convened to celebrate local arts and culture, was created by the peoples living on a host of nearby mountains and volcanoes: Andong, Menoreh, Merapi, Merbabu and Sumbing.
The festival, which recently completed its 12th iteration, has been enlivened in recent years by the participation of various cities from different parts of Java.
The festival is a people's party ' a grassroots event. The cost and fees for hosting the visiting artists and the event have been borne by the members of the mountain communicites without any government sponsorship.
'We strive to be independent, to the best of our capacity, without relying on the minister, the governor or the regent,' Sutanto Mendut, a local community leader said during a speech to open the event.
'The governor and regent are welcome, but don't use us as a means to reach an end. It's an occasion for the people with full freedom,' Sutanto said.
' Photos by Tarko Sudiarno
- Chinese star Andy Lau fractures spine from horse riding accident
- Indonesian cable TV, property tycoon in DC to attend Trump's inauguration
- Activists apply for judicial review of relaxation of mineral export ban
- Zoo defends conditions following video of sun bears begging for food
- Small farmers not to blame for peat fires: Walhi
- Agus to prioritize dialogue in handling intolerant groups
- Harry Potter-themed café opens in Singapore
- Apple to raise UK app prices to counter weak pound
- Police investigate possible insult to state symbol during FPI rally
- First-borns tend to be less healthy, study suggests