The Five Mountains Festival
The Jakarta Post
This year's Five Mountains Festival was held in Mantran village on the slopes of Mount Andong in Magelang, Central Java, on June 30. The event, convened to celebrate local arts and culture, was created by the peoples living on a host of nearby mountains and volcanoes: Andong, Menoreh, Merapi, Merbabu and Sumbing.
The festival, which recently completed its 12th iteration, has been enlivened in recent years by the participation of various cities from different parts of Java.
The festival is a people's party ' a grassroots event. The cost and fees for hosting the visiting artists and the event have been borne by the members of the mountain communicites without any government sponsorship.
'We strive to be independent, to the best of our capacity, without relying on the minister, the governor or the regent,' Sutanto Mendut, a local community leader said during a speech to open the event.
'The governor and regent are welcome, but don't use us as a means to reach an end. It's an occasion for the people with full freedom,' Sutanto said.
' Photos by Tarko Sudiarno
You might also like :
- Palm oil producers revise up palm oil production, stock data
- Regulation on EURO IV adoption signed
- Railway station tunnels to be completed in April
- Chinese investor interested in Vale Indonesia’s Bahodopi smelter project
- Government faces rampant lawsuits for revocation of mining permits
- Vale Indonesia to spend US$90 million for smelter rejuvenation, expansion
- Jakarta saves 157 MW during Earth Hour 2017
- Garment exports projected to stagnate this year
- PLN expedites financial closure of Tanjung Jati B power plant expansion
- Only 40 percent of Indonesians can afford to buy a house: Sri Mulyani