Buddhist temple bomber disrespects sanctity of Ramadhan: Minister
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Religious Affairs Minister Suryadharma Ali said the perpetrators of Sunday's bombing of Ekayana Buddhist Vihara in West Jakarta did not respect the sanctity of the Muslim holy month of Ramadhan and could therefore be considered 'accursed and barbaric'.
'The faithful should not be inflamed by the incident,' Suryadharma told journalists in Jakarta on Monday as quoted by Antara news agency.
The minister said it was hoped that the bombing would not disrupt relations between Muslims and Buddhists.
'I urge all religious followers not to be provoked by the incident,' said Suryadharma.
The minister visited the Buddhist temple shortly after the attack on Sunday evening. He stayed at the location for around 30 minutes to inspect parts of the building damaged in the attack. The temple gate was closed immediately after the religious affairs minister left the location
Police increased security in and around the temple following the blasts.
A loud boom was heard at Ekayana Vihara, which is located in a residential compound in Duri Kepa, West Jakarta, at around 8 p.m. local time on Sunday. (ebf)
You might also like :
- Moon, Kim get peace award from Indonesian community
- Only 2% of ads show women as leaders: Study
- Malea Emma Tjandrawidjaja stuns 'American Idol' judges
- Four earthquakes strike off Canada's west coast
- Here comes Bui Squad: Palu inmates help earthquake, tsunami survivors
- Dark side of K-pop: The East Light leader claims years of abuse
- Nudist beach surfer punches shark to escape attack
- Meikarta project abides by spatial regulation: Minister
- Saudi Arabia deployed Twitter army against critics: NY Times
- US mulls revoking recognition of transgender people: Report