Liverpool kicks off deadline day with 3 signings
The Jakarta Post
Liverpool was the early mover in what is expected to be a frantic transfer deadline day in the Premier League on Monday, taking Chelsea forward Victor Moses on loan and recruiting young defenders Mamadou Sakho and Tiago Ilori to increase their number of summer signings to eight.
Nigeria international Moses will spend the season at Anfield after seeing his chances of first-team action at Chelsea plummet following the arrival of forwards Willian and Andre Schuerrle.
Sakho, who can play at center back or left back and has 14 caps for France, joined from Paris Saint-Germain on a long-term contract and the 20-year-old Ilori, who has represented Portugal at youth age groups, moved from Sporting Lisbon. Financial details weren't disclosed but sections of the British media reported that Sakho and Ilori cost a combined 25 million pounds ($39 million).
The trio of signings adds strength in depth to a squad that has won its first three Premier League games for the first time since the 1993-94 season to go top of the standings. Sakho and Moses are likely to challenge for first-team places immediately, with the London-born Ilora set to be one for the future.
Arsenal and Manchester United are expected to be busy in the transfer market on Monday as clubs look to finalize their squads for the first half of the season.
English teams have already splashed out in the region of 500 million pounds ($775 million) in the summer window and have plenty of money to spend after agreeing bumper new domestic and international television contracts starting this season.
Stoke signed Austria forward Marko Arnautovic from Werder Bremen on a four-year deal for an undisclosed fee and French club Marseille announced it had loaned out France international Morgan Amalfitano to West Bromwich Albion.
You might also like :
- Taipei guide: Four places where fireflies light up the night sky
- Six Singaporean military personnel deported after Batam raid
- Bali declared world's top destination for 2017
- Duterte says he can be 50 times more brutal than terrorists
- Norwegian man caught stealing iPhone at Garuda lounge
- Nearing 100-day mark, Trump says milestone not 'meaningful'
- Kanye West, adidas announce launch of newest Yeezy sneakers
- The sad saga of North Korea's ATMs
- Anies refuses to talk about programs until official election result
- French stocks soar to near-decade highs as Macron tops poll