Mt Sinabung erupts again, causing panic
The Jakarta Post
Mount Sinabung in Karo regency, North Sumatra, erupted again on Tuesday, spewing thick smoke and volcanic materials in the form of small stones.
Black smoke rose from the volcano, higher than during the first explosion, on Sunday. As a result, people who were doing daily activities inside their houses and those who were working in fields at the foot of the mountain fled to safer places.
Using cars and motorcycles, they ran for their safety to temporary shelters in Kabanjahe and Berastagi. Some residents were evacuated in military and police trucks.
A resident of Berastepu village, Jenda Sembiring, said she was working in the field when Mt. Sinabung erupted again at 12:03 p.m. local time. The mother of three said that during the last two days, she had worked in the field as usual after the volcano's eruption on Sunday.
'In the first eruption, our village was relatively safe and was not declared as part of the evacuation zone, so I kept working in the field. But the second eruption was quite strong. It made me afraid and then I decided to flee as the smoke from Mount Sinabung was very thick,' said Jenda shortly after she arrived in the temporary shelter Jambur Sempakata, Kabanjahe, on Tuesday.
Geological Disaster Mitigation and Volcanology Center head M.Hendrasto said Mt. Sinabung's explosion today occurred because the volcano's lava pipe and crater had opened, so more eruptions were possible. (hrl/ebf)
You might also like :
- Obama arrives in Bali
- Media mogul declared intimidation suspect
- Indonesia's Jangkrik field’s first LNG cargo delivered
- Australia sends spy planes to south Philippines
- Former US president Obama to arrive on Bali this afternoon
- Australian citizen denied entry to Bali due to criminal record
- Property developer sees potential to build office buildings for startups in Bali
- Indonesia's upstream projects proposed for strategic project list
- No extravagant ceremony to welcome Obama: Official
- Online drivers choose to stay in Jakarta to earn more cash