Mt Sinabung erupts again, causing panic
The Jakarta Post
Mount Sinabung in Karo regency, North Sumatra, erupted again on Tuesday, spewing thick smoke and volcanic materials in the form of small stones.
Black smoke rose from the volcano, higher than during the first explosion, on Sunday. As a result, people who were doing daily activities inside their houses and those who were working in fields at the foot of the mountain fled to safer places.
Using cars and motorcycles, they ran for their safety to temporary shelters in Kabanjahe and Berastagi. Some residents were evacuated in military and police trucks.
A resident of Berastepu village, Jenda Sembiring, said she was working in the field when Mt. Sinabung erupted again at 12:03 p.m. local time. The mother of three said that during the last two days, she had worked in the field as usual after the volcano's eruption on Sunday.
'In the first eruption, our village was relatively safe and was not declared as part of the evacuation zone, so I kept working in the field. But the second eruption was quite strong. It made me afraid and then I decided to flee as the smoke from Mount Sinabung was very thick,' said Jenda shortly after she arrived in the temporary shelter Jambur Sempakata, Kabanjahe, on Tuesday.
Geological Disaster Mitigation and Volcanology Center head M.Hendrasto said Mt. Sinabung's explosion today occurred because the volcano's lava pipe and crater had opened, so more eruptions were possible. (hrl/ebf)
You might also like :
- Ahok's wife joins Twilite Orchestra practice session, plays cello
- Police fire tear gas at Bekasi church protestors
- IN MEMORIAM: Legendary journalist Ahmad Taufik dies at 51
- Indonesia stops meat imports from Brazil
- Indonesia to build maritime, fisheries center in Nunukan: Minister
- Alleged terrorists wanted to make Halmahera new Poso: Police
- One killed, six injured in Bali boat collision
- Ahok to ensure adequate health services for Jakartans
- Jokowi to inaugurate center of Islam of the Archipelago
- Divers clean up Bali reefs