KPK arrests Banten governor
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
The Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) arrested Banten Governor Ratu Atut Chosiyah after she was interrogated for around six hours on Friday.
Atut was interrogated as a suspect in a bribery case relating to the Lebak election dispute. It is expected that she will be detained at the Pondok Bambu penitentiary in East Jakarta.
'She will be detained for 20 days,' said KPK spokesperson Johan Budi on Friday, as quoted by Kompas.com.
Atut was seen leaving the KPK building wearing a bright orange detainee suit. The antigraft body named Atut a suspect on Dec.16.
Atut has been involved in the case since the very beginning by taking part in conditioning her brother, Tubagus Chaeri Wardana a.k.a Wawan, to win the dispute.
The KPK has already named Wawan a suspect for bribing former Constitutional Court chief justice Akil Mochtar in return for the latter's support in the Lebak regency election lawsuit.
According to reports, Akil, Atut and Wawan had once met in Singapore to discuss the handling of the Lebak elections lawsuit in hopes that the court would approve a demand for a repeat election as requested by Amir Hamzah and Kasmin, the regent and deputy regent candidate supported by the Golkar Party.
The KPK suspected that it was Atut who instructed Wawan, who was a member of the Amir-Kasmin's campaign team, to bribe the former court chief justice.
It was suspected that Atut had her own vested interest in an Amir-Kasmin's victory in the Lebak election.
The KPK also suspected the Banten governor of having been involved in a mark-up case in the procurement of medical equipment in Banten. Johan said the KPK had obtained two adequate pieces of evidence in the case and was investigating those involved. (ebf)
- Parties launch diversity campaign, counter anti-Ahok rally
- Ahok supporters lambasted for bringing party attributes to Car Free Day
- Setya Novanto, Surya Paloh stand up for diversity after anti-Ahok rally
- In remote Indian village, cannabis is its only livelihood
- Transjakarta summons operator for allegedly renting out buses for political gathering
- Trump's call inspires hope in Taiwan, concern in Beijing
- Ill-fated police plane carrying 13 exploded after hitting water: Witnesses
- First victim found, 12 remain missing in police plane crash
- Italians vote in referendum, Renzi vows to quit if he loses
- Jokowi feels euphoria on pitch after victory over Vietnam