Jokowi says Cabinet to have 34 ministries
The Jakarta Post
President-elect Joko 'Jokowi' Widodo announced on Monday the structure of his future Cabinet, elaborating that there would still be 34 ministries in his government and that 18 ministers would have professional backgrounds.
'We are looking for a strong, structured Cabinet that is willing to work efficiently with the government in carrying out programs,' Jokowi said at Transition House in Menteng, Central Jakarta.
Jokowi did not announce the names of his ministers, but said that 18 would have professional backgrounds while 16 would come from political parties in his coalition.
Jokowi explained that the coordinating economic minister as well as agriculture, energy and state-owned enterprises ministers would be professionals and not members of political parties.
Jokowi claims that he is waiting on public input to finalize the ministers' list.
He also revealed that deputy minister positions would be abolished, except for the post at the Foreign Ministry.
Previously, the head of the Jokowi Transition Team's Cabinet structure unit, Andi Widjajanto, said a deputy foreign minister was still needed due to the unique working characteristics of the ministry, which involved numerous bilateral and multilateral issues.
The three coordinating minister positions will also be retained.
Jokowi said the designations of the ministries would be announced at a later date.
'I will also announce the criteria for the ministers when the time comes,' Jokowi said.
There has been talk that some ministries would be merged or totally new ministries established. (++++)
You might also like :
- Moon, Kim get peace award from Indonesian community
- Only 2% of ads show women as leaders: Study
- Here comes Bui Squad: Palu inmates help earthquake, tsunami survivors
- Nudist beach surfer punches shark to escape attack
- Saudi Arabia deployed Twitter army against critics: NY Times
- Dark side of K-pop: The East Light leader claims years of abuse
- Malea Emma Tjandrawidjaja stuns 'American Idol' judges
- North Korea's box of bones: A mythical king and the dream of Korean unification
- Gay couple arrested in Bandung as anti-LGBT wave grips W. Java
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world