Jokowi says Cabinet to have 34 ministries
The Jakarta Post
President-elect Joko 'Jokowi' Widodo announced on Monday the structure of his future Cabinet, elaborating that there would still be 34 ministries in his government and that 18 ministers would have professional backgrounds.
'We are looking for a strong, structured Cabinet that is willing to work efficiently with the government in carrying out programs,' Jokowi said at Transition House in Menteng, Central Jakarta.
Jokowi did not announce the names of his ministers, but said that 18 would have professional backgrounds while 16 would come from political parties in his coalition.
Jokowi explained that the coordinating economic minister as well as agriculture, energy and state-owned enterprises ministers would be professionals and not members of political parties.
Jokowi claims that he is waiting on public input to finalize the ministers' list.
He also revealed that deputy minister positions would be abolished, except for the post at the Foreign Ministry.
Previously, the head of the Jokowi Transition Team's Cabinet structure unit, Andi Widjajanto, said a deputy foreign minister was still needed due to the unique working characteristics of the ministry, which involved numerous bilateral and multilateral issues.
The three coordinating minister positions will also be retained.
Jokowi said the designations of the ministries would be announced at a later date.
'I will also announce the criteria for the ministers when the time comes,' Jokowi said.
There has been talk that some ministries would be merged or totally new ministries established. (++++)
You might also like :
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Of legs and Pancasila: Two petitions battle it out over BLACKPINK ad
- Real Crazy Rich Asian wedding to cost $100 million
- Indonesia plans to make 30 percent biodiesel blend mandatory, studies B100
- Jakarta sinking fast: Experts
- Don’t panic: Indonesian ‘cendol’ different from Singaporean ‘cendol’
- 21 tons of trash flows into Jakarta Bay daily: Researcher
- Indonesia launches One Map Policy to resolve land conflicts
- Wika announces development contracts in 10 countries
- Shopee BLACKPINK commercial too salacious, KPI says