#ShameByYouAgainSBY pops up after previous hashtag suddenly disappears
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
The hashtag #ShameByYouAgainSBY against President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono has popped up on Twitter since Monday's pre-dawn hours, after a previous similar hashtag, #ShameOnYouSBY, suddenly disappeared on Saturday.
Netizens also made the hashtag #SukaBohongYa against Yudhoyono, who will leave the office on Oct. 20, because they thought that Yudhoyono had lied to the Indonesian people by allegedly letting his Democratic Party lawmakers walk out of a plenary session on the regional election bill at the House of Representatives on Friday, which caused the replacement of direct elections with indirect elections for regional heads.
They also alleged Yudhoyono was the main actor who made the decision for the lawmakers to walk out. Therefore, they called the sixth president a 'big liar' because he previously declared that he supported direct elections through a video uploaded to YouTube.
Like #ShameOnYouSBY, #ShameByYouAgainSBY has become a trending topic in the country since it was launched on Monday morning. As of 6:40 a.m., netizens had tweeted it 40,025 times.
"Everybody knew you're a liar, SBY #ShameOnYouSBY. #ShamedByYouAgainSBY #SukaBohongYa," said account @beritaOKU, as quoted by tempo.co.
Regarding the disappearance of #ShameOnYouSBY, members of the public alleged that Twitter removed the hashtag after it got a request to do so from the government.
Political and human rights activist Fadjroel Rachman described the government's alleged actions as embarrassing.
'It's really shameful if the Indonesian government has asked Twitter to remove the hashtag,' Fadjroel said from his Twitter account @Fadjroel.
However, Twitter has yet to respond to the allegation that the removal of #ShameOnYouSBY from the list of worldwide trending topics was based on a formal request from the Indonesian government, but has said, 'Twitter does not comment on rumors or speculation.'
Twitter, in its official statement made available to The Jakarta Post on Sunday, also said that during the first half of 2014, the Indonesian government had made zero requests for account information and zero requests for content removal. (alz)
You might also like :
- North Sumatra's regent nabbed in antigraft operation
- Indonesia's latest economic stimulus package: What you need to know
- 22 migrants missing off Morocco after boat capsizes
- BLACKPINK’s Jennie sets records with ‘Solo’ videos
- A father’s love: Wiranto explains why his daughter wears niqab
- Republican urges conservatives to run against Trump in 2020
- 'Waria' told to leave their home in Jakarta amid anti-LGBT campaign
- Trump says doesn't want to hear 'suffering' Khashoggi tape
- Jokowi won't grant Nuril amnesty
- Indonesia mosques spreading radicalism to government workers: Official