Jokowi, top officials to discuss inauguration
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
President-elect Joko 'Jokowi' Widodo, House Speaker Setya Novanto, People's Consultative Assembly (MPR) speaker Zulkifli Hasan and Regional Representatives Council (DPD) speaker Irman Gusman have gathered in a hotel in Central Jakarta to talk about the recent political dynamics and the inauguration ceremony for the new president and vice president that is slated to be held on Oct. 20.
Kompas.com reported on Friday that they had planned to meet with the press soon after the meeting was over. A room has been prepared for the press conference, however, the meeting is apparently still ongoing.
Beforehand, the MPR had stated that it planned to invite losing presidential candidate Prabowo Subianto and vice president candidate Hatta Rajasa to the inauguration ceremony.
Commenting on this plan, the secretary general of the National Mandate Party (PAN), Taufik Kurniawan, said the Red-and-White Coalition respected the invitation. He acknowledged that the invitation was a sympathetic gesture from Jokowi's camp and therefore could pave the way to a genuine reconciliation between the two presidential candidates.
'We still need to discuss the invitation in a plenary meeting with other coalition members first before providing the proper response,' he said.(dic)
You might also like :
- Agnez Mo announces collaboration with Chris Brown
- Flights to Bali fall by 30 percent: Inaca
- Apartment construction work blamed for floods in Central Jakarta
- Thousands of passengers stuck as ‘angkot’ drivers strike
- Five cadets found guilty of murder
- Garuda Indonesia signs 10-year contract extension with GMF
- Setya's pretrial hearing adjourned until Thursday
- Grab, Paytren sign business deal
- Garcia Marquez archive now accessible online
- Setya says he has been 'suffering from diarrhea' during hearing