Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Video Weather icon 30°C
DKI Jakarta, Indonesia
weather-icon
30°C Partly Cloudy

Dry and mostly cloudy throughout the day.

  • weather-icon

    Wed

    26℃ - 32℃

  • weather-icon

    Thu

    25℃ - 32℃

  • weather-icon

    Fri

    25℃ - 31℃

  • weather-icon

    Sat

    26℃ - 30℃

Jasa Marga unit to operate Medan-Tebing Tinggi toll road

  • Nadya Natahadibrata

    The Jakarta Post

Jakarta | Tue, January 6, 2015 | 08:30 am
Jasa Marga unit to operate Medan-Tebing Tinggi toll road Sign here:: Public Works and Public Housing Ministry’s Bina Marga director general Djoko Murjanto (left), the ministry’s toll-road regulatory agency (BPJT) head Achmad Ghani Ghazali (second left) and PT Jasa Marga (Persero) president director Adityawarman witness PT Jasamarga Kualanamu Tol director Agus Suharjanto (third left) signing a toll-road development agreement for the Medan-Kualanamu-Tebingtinggi project in Jakarta on Monday. (Antara)

Sign here:  Public Works and Public Housing Ministry'€™s Bina Marga director general Djoko Murjanto (left), the ministry'€™s toll-road regulatory agency (BPJT) head Achmad Ghani Ghazali (second left) and PT Jasa Marga (Persero) president director Adityawarman witness PT Jasamarga Kualanamu Tol director Agus Suharjanto (third left) signing a toll-road development agreement for the Medan-Kualanamu-Tebingtinggi project in Jakarta on Monday. (Antara)

PT Jasamarga Kualanamu Tol, a consortium of four state-owned firms, has officially secured a 40-year concession for the operation of the Medan-Kualanamu-Tebing Tinggi toll road in Deli Serdang, North Sumatra.

The 61.7-kilometer toll road is part of a larger plan to construct the mega Trans-Sumatra toll road project, which will connect the entire island of Sumatra from Aceh to Lampung.

On Monday, PT Jasamarga Kualanamu Tol president director Agus Suharyanto and the Public Works Ministry'€™s Toll Road Authority Body (BPJT) head Achmad Gani Ghazali signed the concession deal, witnessed by the ministry'€™s Bina Marga director general Djoko Murjanto and PT Jasa Marga president director Adityawarman.

'€œThis is an alternative route connecting Medan and the eastern part of the province that also connects to Belmera [Tanjungmorawa-Belawan] toll road,'€ Agus told reporters on the sidelines of the signing ceremony.

'€œWe hope that this toll road will help boost economic growth on the island as initiated by the central government,'€ he continued.

In September, the Public Works and Public Housing Ministry kicked off the construction of the first 17.8-km section of the toll road that would connect Medan, Perbarakan and Kualanamu, with a target of completion in June 2016.

The remaining 43.9-km section connecting Perbarakan and Tebing Tinggi will be constructed by the consortium that includes state-owned toll road operator PT Jasa Marga '€” which holds the largest stake of 55 percent '€” construction firm PT Pembangunan Perumahan (15 percent), PT Waskita Karya (15 percent) and PT Hutama Karya (15 percent).

At present, the land acquisition process for the construction of the toll road'€™s first section has reached 83 percent and acquisition for the second section is already at 81 percent.

Djoko said that the working progress of the first section had reached 15 percent with total investment of Rp 1.1 trillion (US$87 million).

'€œWith the signing of the concession agreement, we expect the construction can immediately be implemented, in the hope that by 2016 the first section can begin operation, followed by the second section in 2017,'€ Djoko said.

The investment to construct the entire toll road reached Rp 4 trillion, of which 30 percent is coming from PT Jasamarga Kualanamu Tol'€™s equity, while the remaining 70 percent will be financed by bank loans.

Agus said that following the deal, PT Jasamarga Kualanamu Tol would conduct a tender for consultants between January and March this year.

The toll road is part of the ministry'€™s support for the Master Plan for the Acceleration and Expansion of the Indonesian Economy (MP3EI) program that is expected to improve road connectivity in Sumatra.

Comments