Jokowi, Queen Margrethe II discuss batik
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Queen Margrethe II of Denmark and her husband Prince Consort Henrik were welcomed with an official state ceremony when they arrived at the State Palace in Jakarta at 10.35 a.m. on Thursday to meet President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo.
According to Jokowi, batik was one of the topics being discussed during his meeting with the queen.
"We discussed much about batik since she is really fond of the fabric as well as paintings," said Jokowi as quoted by tempo.co.
He added that the queen also asked about the length of time taken to make batik lereng (hill, diagonal rows motifs).
"I told her that the lereng motif needed six months to make, while a combination of lereng and other motifs took around four months," said Jokowi.
Prior to the meeting, said Jokowi, agreements had been reached between both countries' ministers included the signing of a memorandum of understanding (MoU) about the energy, maritime, education and transportation sectors.
According to Antara news agency, Foreign Minister Retno LP Marsudi attended a bilateral meeting on Thursday with Denmark's Foreign Minister, Kristian Jensen.
According to Retno, the main issues discussed at the meeting included cooperation in the maritime, energy and education sectors as well as the importance of an interfaith dialogue.
"We will try to strengthen cooperation in the maritime sector, from connectivity and seaports to infrastructure and aquaculture development. As for the energy sector, we will focus our cooperation in renewable energy," said Retno.
Meanwhile, in the education sector, Indonesia is set to cooperate with 14 universities in Denmark.
Jensen said that Denmark learned a lot from Indonesia about increasing interfaith dialogue activities. He added that he was particularly pleased to have the opportunity to visit the Istiqlal Grand Mosque and meet several religious leaders.
"As for education, I think Denmark can be a good partner for Indonesia. We see that Indonesia also has a remarkable education system," said Jensen. (kes)(++++)
You might also like :
- Muslim couple denied Swiss citizenship over handshake refusal
- US man charged with killing pregnant wife and two toddlers
- President, first lady celebrate Sumatran culture on Independence Day
- Google launches special features for Asian Games 2018
- Cricket hero Imran Khan sworn in as Pakistan PM
- National Folk Museum of Korea to bring ‘mobile museums’ to Asian Games
- US threatens more Turkey sanctions if pastor not freed
- Jokowi opens Asian Games in dazzling ceremony
- Asian Games: Japanese athletes, officials comfortable staying in athletes villag...
- Jokowi defends his infrastructure program