Komodo Airport to get international status
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Komodo Airport in Labuan Bajo in East Nusa Tenggara will be upgraded to an international airport to support tourism in the area, an official said on Friday.
Ricard Djami, head of the East Nusa Tenggara Transportation Office, said that the change is to support both domestic and foreign tourist flow in and out of Labuan Bajo where Komodo dragons live.
"It is part of the government's effort to improve Komodo Airport to maximize the service it can provide in terms of arrivals and departures during the day and night. We are currently in discussion regarding its international airport status," he said as quoted by state news agency Antara.
The process of upgrading its status is expected to be completed by the end of this year.
Ricard said that flights from and to Komodo Airport had significantly increased in recent years following the Komodo National Park being officially declared one of the world's seven natural wonders by the New 7 Wonders Foundation in 2012.
The new status will mean the airport is fitted with more extensive equipment, including revamped runway lights, and extra service institutions such as customs, immigration and health related facilities.
Komodo National Park received 34,218 visitors up to June this year, park chief Helmi told Antara on Sept. 1.
He said the national park received a total of 67,089 visitors over the whole of last year. (rin)(+)
You might also like :
- Thousands protest in Jakarta against Trump's Jerusalem move
- "Where are the trees?," Jokowi slams green programs
- Indonesia seeks to impose import duties on intangible goods
- Indonesia to voice developmental concerns at WTO conference
- Major recall of Lactalis baby milk over salmonella fears
- Lippo to hold rights issue in first quarter of 2018
- Saudi Arabia hails Iraq victory over IS
- Potatoes for peace: how the humble tuber stopped conflict in Europe
- Three suspected terrorists arrested in East Java
- Celebs sleep rough to raise money for Scotland's homeless