High-ranking official resigns over Christmas congestion
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
The Transportation Ministry's director general of land transportation, Djoko Sasono, has stepped down from his position after acknowledging his failure in preventing traffic congestion during the Christmas holiday.
"As part of my responsibility regarding this [congestion], I declare my resignation as director general of land transportation," Djoko said during press conference at the Ministry of Transportation in Jakarta on Dec. 26, as quoted by Kompas.com.
He said he took complete responsibility for the recent congestion. "This is purely the failure of the director general. The resignation is my responsibility as a failing director general," Djoko said.
As previously reported, massive congestion occurred on some toll roads in the Jakarta area, such as the Jakarta-Bandung toll road and the Cikampek toll road, on the Christmas holidays from Dec. 23 to Dec. 25.
Djoko refused to comment on possible other motives behind his resignation and assured reporters that there had been no pressure from other parties.
Meanwhile, Ministry of Transportation spokesman J. A. Barata was apparently caught by surprise, saying he had been unaware of the resignation until the press conference started.
"I didn't know any more than you," Barata said to the reporters. (ags)
You might also like :
- US man charged with killing pregnant wife and two toddlers
- US threatens more Turkey sanctions if pastor not freed
- Jokowi defends his infrastructure program
- President, first lady celebrate Sumatran culture on Independence Day
- Canadian killed, American wounded in Mexico shooting
- Yazidi 'ex-sex slave' trapped both in Iraq and in German exile
- Pilgrims descend on Mecca for 'smart haj'
- Chinese plane slides off Manila airport runway in heavy rain
- Madonna celebrates turning 60 in Marrakech
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world