RI, EU agree to cooperate to reduce Iran-Saudi Arabia tensions
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Foreign Minister Retno LP Marsudi and the EU high representative for foreign affairs and security, Federica Mogherini, on Wednesday agreed to continue cooperating on future initiatives that could help appease the ongoing tensions between Iran and Saudi Arabia.
In a talk on Wednesday morning, Retno and Mogherini discussed the current tensions and coordinated messages ahead of Retno's visit to Iran and Saudi Arabia.
'The high representative and the minister agreed on the need to reduce tensions in the region,' the EU said in a statement on Wednesday.
'They shared the view that the current tension could have important negative consequences, not only for bilateral relations but also for the region, the Syrian process and for Muslim communities all around the world, from Southeast Asia to Europe,' it added.
Relations between Iran and Saudi Arabia deteriorated after the latter executed a prominent Shiite cleric, Nimr al-Nimr. Angered by the execution, Iranian protesters attacked the Saudi embassy in Tehran and a consulate in another city. The mounting tension ended in Riyadh's move to break off diplomatic relations with Tehran.
Arab foreign ministers, with the exception of Lebanon, condemned in a Sunday statement what they called Iran's meddling in Arab affairs, the Associated Press reported.
The ministers accused Iran of breaking international agreements by intentionally failing to protect Saudi diplomatic posts in a statement issued following a closed-door emergency meeting. (ebf)(+)
- Catholic university refuses to remove billboards with hijab-clad student
- Rachmawati says meetings, cash transfer not evidence of treason
- Study finds majority of people condemning Ahok's ‘blasphemy’ not well informed
- Charging-device producer Anker aims to tap Indonesian market
- Duterte assures Robredo will be VP ‘until last day of her term’
- Muslims lambast Christmas service raid in Bandung
- Indonesia over the moon after $9.4 million win against Churchill
- Public faith in Jokowi remains high despite anti-Ahok movement
- FUI forces Christian university to drop billboard with hijab-clad student
- N.Sumatra dispatches assistance for Aceh earthquake victims