Jokowi inaugurates newly elected governors
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo has inaugurated seven governors and deputy governors, who were elected in the simultaneous regional elections held on Dec. 9, 2015.
"On behalf of the nation, the country and Indonesian people, I congratulate you on your inauguration as governors and deputy governors," Jokowi said after the inauguration ceremony at the State Palace on Friday.
In his speech, the President told the governors and their deputies to immediately do their jobs as regional leaders after their inauguration because the people were waiting for the implementation of their promises made during the election campaigns.
"After the end of the election, it is time for us to step forward to fulfil the promises you made during the election campaign, namely to improve the welfare of your people," Jokowi said.
He also called on all people, who had been involved in rivalries during the election campaigns in support of their various candidates, to reunite to support the elected governors to develop their respective provinces.
The newly inaugurated regional leaders were Irwan Prayitno and Nasrul Abit from West Sumatra, Muhammad Sani and Nurdin Basirun from Riau Islands, Zumi Zola and Fachrori Umar of Jambi, Ridwan Mukti and Rohidin Mersyah from Bengkulu, Sahbirin Noor and Rusdi Resnawan from South Kalimantan, Irianto Basire and Udin Hianggio from North Kalimantan and Olly Dondokambey and Steven Octavianus Kandou from North Sulawesi.
Before the inauguration, Jokowi took the new officials for a walk around the presidential office complex. (erk/bbn)
You might also like :
- Moon, Kim get peace award from Indonesian community
- Only 2% of ads show women as leaders: Study
- Malea Emma Tjandrawidjaja stuns 'American Idol' judges
- Four earthquakes strike off Canada's west coast
- Here comes Bui Squad: Palu inmates help earthquake, tsunami survivors
- Dark side of K-pop: The East Light leader claims years of abuse
- Nudist beach surfer punches shark to escape attack
- Meikarta project abides by spatial regulation: Minister
- Saudi Arabia deployed Twitter army against critics: NY Times
- US mulls revoking recognition of transgender people: Report