Drugs rampant in rural parts of Bali, says BNN
Ni Komang Erviani
The Jakarta Post
The National Narcotics Agency’s (BNN) Bali chapter has said that drug dealers on the island do not only target city-dwellers, but also sell narcotics to people in rural areas, particularly children and young people.
“We believe that drug-dealing in rural areas is rampant now," said BNN Bali chief Brig. Gen. Putu Gede Suastawa on Thursday, adding that since early this year, BNN Bali had arrested 29 drugs dealers from across Bali, 24 of whom were arrested in rural areas.
The most recent arrest was carried out in Banyuatis village, a small village in the hilly Buleleng regency in northern Bali. The agency’s officers arrested Kadek Citayana , 47, and seized 26 small packages of crystal methamphetamine, along with plastic bags, a digital scales, a mobile phone and Rp 34 million in cash.
The BNN also arrested two dealers in neighboring villages. Kadek Saraswastika, 26, was arrested in Tampekan village and Komang Arimbawa, 33, in Kaliuntu village.
From the two suspects, the team seized seven packages of crystal methamphetamine measuring 2.36 grams in total. The agency also seized Rp 2 million in cash, plastic bags and bank account receipts.
All of the suspects said they had obtained the drugs in Java, and were targeting young people in rural areas, particularly those from rich families. "Banyuatis village was one of their targets as there are many rich clove farmers in the village," Suastawa said.
On Tuesday, the agency arrested a further suspect, identified as Anton Listyo Trenggono, 33, in the Renon area of Denpasar. (bbn)
You might also like :
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high
- No nutrients lost in rendang despite long cooking period, research says
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Basarnas ends search for Lion Air crash victims
- Bali authority denies report on JE viral infection outbreak
- Anti-LGBT sentiment rises ahead of elections
- Lion Air crash: 'I’m sure dad could swim his way out and survive the crash'
- When Jokowi’s ‘other women’ let their hair down
- Singapore Airlines to move to Soekarno-Hatta airport Terminal 3
- 5 ways to increase your lung capacity