US citizen gets life sentence for smuggling 97 kg of drugs
The Jakarta Post
Semarang District Court on Wednesday sentenced United States citizen Philip Russell, aka Kamran Muzaffar Malik, to life imprisonment for his involvement in smuggling 97 kilograms of crystal methamphetamine (locally known as sabu-sabu) from Guangzhou, China.
“The incriminating factor is that the sabu-sabu could destroy the young generation,” presiding judge Nur Ali said.
Russell, through his lawyer Freddy, said he decided to appeal the verdict.
Nur Ali said Russell was found guilty for his involvement in smuggling the drug into Indonesia via Tanjung Emas harbor of Semarang in December last year.
The defendant who had been working at a money transfer service company in Tanah Abang, Central Jakarta, since 2014, helped finance the importation of electrical generators from China,
During a raid on a furniture workshop in Jepara, Central Java, in January last year, National Narcotics Agency officers found the drugs hidden inside the generators.
The officers then investigated further and afterwards arrested Russell and others.
(Read also:Pakistani drug smuggler gets death)
Earlier, the court sentenced one of Russell’s accomplices, Muhammad Riaz, a Pakistani who was believed to be the leader of the drug smuggling network, to death.
The court also sentenced Faiq Akhtar, Citra Kurniawan and Tommy Agung Pratomo each to life imprisonment, while Restiyadi Sayoko and Didi Triono got 20 years and 15 years in prison respectively in the same case. (jun)
You might also like :
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Of legs and Pancasila: Two petitions battle it out over BLACKPINK ad
- Real Crazy Rich Asian wedding to cost $100 million
- Indonesia plans to make 30 percent biodiesel blend mandatory, studies B100
- Jakarta sinking fast: Experts
- Don’t panic: Indonesian ‘cendol’ different from Singaporean ‘cendol’
- 21 tons of trash flows into Jakarta Bay daily: Researcher
- Indonesia launches One Map Policy to resolve land conflicts
- Wika announces development contracts in 10 countries
- Shopee BLACKPINK commercial too salacious, KPI says