Bitcoin penetrates deeper into Indonesian market
Viriya P. Singgih
The Jakarta Post
Bitcoin, a cryptocurrency that uses cryptography to make transactions anonymous, has penetrated deeper into the Indonesian market even though there is currently no legal umbrella for the currency’s use in the country.
Bitcoin Indonesia currently has 250,000 members, up from 80,000 at the end of 2015, with a daily transaction value of Rp 20 billion (US$1.48 million).
Bitcoin Indonesia business development manager Suasti Atmastuti Astaman said it was natural to see such a positive trend as Bitcoin had successfully gained global trust, especially following the recent Russian government’s decision to legitimize Bitcoin as an official currency at the end of November 2016.
“Bitcoin’s value completely depends on supply and demand in the market. At present, as more and more countries have relaxed their stances on digital currency, including the United States, China and Russia, more and more people are putting their trust in it. That’s why Bitcoin’s value has been rapidly surging,” Suasti said.
However, Suasti also said the Indonesian government might need more time to learn the know-how of Bitcoin, while waiting for its real impact in other countries that had legitimized the digital currency. “So, if someone asks when will Indonesia make Bitcoin an official currency, only God knows,” she said.
As of Monday, Bitcoin was priced at $1,018 with a market capitalization of $16.36 billion, seeing an annual increase of 151.7 percent, according to CoinMarketCap. (bbn)
You might also like :
- Jokowi wears traditional attire during annual state of the nation address
- EDITORIAL: Forever young Indonesia
- INSIGHT: Indonesia – a nation of three clichés
- Indonesian N219 aircraft succeeds in first test flight
- Jokowi bestows honorary medals for distinguished services
- Israeli firm offers 'anti-terrorism' adventure to tourists
- Soekarno-Hatta airport’s skytrain begins trial operation
- Teater Koma stages latest play ‘Warisan’ in silence
- Put on some weight, says politician to Jokowi in prayer
- Thousands Islands to host Tidung Festival 2017