River normalization best way to mitigate floods: Ahok
The Jakarta Post
Jakarta Governor Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama insists the ongoing river normalization program is the best way to mitigate flooding in the capital.
"If we do not normalize the rivers, it will be impossible [to mitigate floods]. [Flooding] is the result of the rivers having not yet been widened or [their banks] heightened," Ahok said at City Hall on Friday.
He was speaking in response to Anies Baswedan, his competitor in the gubernatorial election, who had said Jakarta needed absorption wells, instead of the normalization program.
“Water management must use a vertical drainage system. [As] draining water to the sea is not enough. It must be channeled into the ground,” Anies said on Thursday, responding to severe flooding in several areas across Jakarta as the result of lengthy downpours and heavy rain in Bogor, West Java, flowing to the capital.
Floodwater inundated the homes of around 8,000 residents living along the Ciliwung riverbank. (ebf)
You might also like :
- BPJS Ketenagakerjaan seeks to book Rp 367.8 trillion in funds
- Susi beats Sandiaga in Lake Sunter showdown
- Electronic music and poetry collide in ‘Melihat Puisi’
- Aceh, Dubai-based firm to start hydrocarbon survey
- In 'Coco' child star's story, life and art intertwine
- Impossible to pair Kalla with Jokowi again, PDI-P says
- Rohingya exodus still growing, six months into crisis
- Bollywood star Sridevi dies of heart attack: PTI