Reclamation necessary to revitalize Jakarta bay: Campaign team
Callistasia Anggun Wijaya
The Jakarta Post
Following a court decision to revoke the reclamation permits for Islet F, I, K on Thursday, the campaign team of Jakarta Governor Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama said Friday that the reclamation should be continued to revitalize the Jakarta Bay area.
Emmy Hafild, the team’s spokeswoman, said that the reclamation would save bay residents from three major disasters which might hit the city in the future: tidal flooding, locally known as rob, floods and sea pollution.
"Reclamation is part of the plan to make a new residential where the residents [living in the bay area] can avoid the three disasters," she said during a press conference at Ahok's campaign post on Jl. Cemara, Menteng, Central Jakarta.
(Read also: Jakarta clears hurdle in reclamation project)
She said that if the reclamation continued, the fishermen who lived around the bay would be relocated to a low-cost apartment complex specifically designed for them in Muara Angke, North Jakarta.
Some parts of the islets would also be set aside to accommodate the fishermen, she said.
Therefore, the Jakarta Bay area, which would be free of any residential areas, could be revitalized as it would be planted by mangrove.
That mangrove would filter the pollution from the Jakarta Bay land, Emmy said.
On Thursday, the Jakarta Administrative Court considered that permits issued for construction of islets F, I and K had violated several regulations and damaged the environment.
- Obama arrives in Bali
- Media mogul declared intimidation suspect
- Indonesia's Jangkrik field’s first LNG cargo delivered
- Australia sends spy planes to south Philippines
- Former US president Obama to arrive on Bali this afternoon
- Australian citizen denied entry to Bali due to criminal record
- Property developer sees potential to build office buildings for startups in Bali
- Indonesia's upstream projects proposed for strategic project list
- No extravagant ceremony to welcome Obama: Official
- Online drivers choose to stay in Jakarta to earn more cash