KPU Jakarta to introduce online checking system to confirm voters’ identities
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta General Elections Commission (KPU Jakarta) has planned to implement an online system to check voters’ identities for the upcoming Jakarta gubernatorial election runoff on April 19.
The online checking will allow the commission to record voters who do not vote at their supposed polling stations as designated by the final voter lists, said KPU Jakarta commissioner Moch Sidik.
“We will facilitate the checking via smartphones or tablets,” Sidik said as quoted by kompas.com on Friday.
The system was planned following cases during the first round election where many voters were included on additional voter lists, when they had actually been registered on final voter lists at different polling stations.
“Voters registered on additional voter lists should have been those who were not included on any final voter lists in Jakarta,” he said. “Being on the additional lists can be problematic because the voters can only cast their votes after 12 a.m.”
With the online checking system, officers of the polling stations would be able to confirm whether or not a voter should have been listed on the additional voter lists.
The commission was not ready for smartphone procurement for all of the polling stations, however. “We will most likely provide them with internet connections instead,” he said. (dea)
- North Sumatra's regent nabbed in antigraft operation
- 'Waria' told to leave their home in Jakarta amid anti-LGBT campaign
- Govt looks to private employees to fill public jobs after 90 percent of applican...
- 'Moral panic' targets Indonesia's LGBT community
- Boeing ‘confident’ in 737 MAX safety despite aircraft flaw
- Christian school rumor leads to closure of vocational academy in Batam
- From Chanel to Gucci: Korean women turn into designer rent-a-holics
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Okky Madasari unearths hidden tales of Indonesia in 'Mata' series
- Indonesia's latest economic stimulus package: What you need to know