Cult leader Gatot Brajamusti sentenced to 8 years in prison
The Jakarta Post
Actor Gatot Brajamusti, 54, a former Indonesian Actors Guild (Parfi) chairman, was declared guilty of drug possession and sentenced to eight years in prison and fined Rp 1 billion (US$75,075) by the Mataram District Court in West Nusa Tenggara on Thursday.
The panel of judges, comprising lead judge Yapi and judges Didiek Jatmiko and Yuli Atmaningsih, declared Gatot guilty of possessing, controlling and storing shabu-shabu (crystal methamphetamine), which is categorized as a type-1 narcotic. The cult leader was charged under Article 112 (2) of the 2009 Narcotics Law.
“Based on information from witnesses, the defendant and evidence, the panel of judges sentences defendant Gatot Brajamusti to eight years in prison and orders him to pay Rp 1 billion or serve an additional three months in prison,” said Yapi.
The sentence is lighter than the 12 years’ imprisonment demanded by prosecutors.
Yapi said Gatot was a public figure and his crime was a bad example to other people. “Moreover, the government is really serious about fighting narcotics and has declared the country in a state of emergency with a drug crisis."
The Gatot’s wife, Dewi Aminah, 45, was sentenced to one-and-a-half years in prison for drug abuse after being charged under Article 127 (2) of the 2009 Narcotics Law. Gatot and Dewi were arrested at Hotel Golden Tulip in Mataram on Aug. 28, 2016. (ebf)
Drug abuse: The Mataram District Court's panel of judges sentences cult leader Gatot Brajamusti (center), 54, to eight years in prison on April 20. (JP/Panca Nugraha)
- Survey finds Jakarta among world’s worst for women
- Barack Obama returns to the political arena
- Marinda airport in Raja Ampat set to become international airport
- More drug dealers to be shot dead: BNN chief
- Across Asia, liver cancer is linked to herbal remedies: Study
- EDITORIAL: Jokowi grows on the job
- North Jakarta group cancels Alexis Hotel protest
- Airline, bank reach for the sky with e-money
- Philippines to reject EU aid: Duterte
- Preventing osteoporosis: How to boost bone health